Got wood... but is it oak?

For future reference, it's pretty easy to tell the difference between red oak and white oak by the shape of the leaf (assuming they are available to see). White oak has rounded leaves, while red oak has sharp edges:

Red_WhtOakLeaves.jpg

Thanks - I'll pay more attention to the leaves next time.

Looks like oak bark to me.
I wouldn't count much on it getting much of a season if it was just layiing there in his yard in whole logs. What you'll want to do is split it and then let it dry. Allow for lots of air flow and sunlight to get to the wood. Won't need to worry TOO much about keeping rain off of it, as long as it's got good airflow to dry sufficiently, it'll still season well.

Nice score!

I'm working on splitting it and then piling it up in the garage to season. But it won't get much sunlight in the garage. If you say that I don't need to worry about it getting wet every now and then (does seem to rain a fair bit in Houston) maybe I'll just pile it up in the yard.

And then I have to be patient and not use it while it gets seasoned!

I wouldn't store it indoors. You are inviting critters like termites into the house. There are other insects like wood boring beetles that you may be inviting into the home as well.

Bob

I wouldn't store it indoors. You are inviting critters like termites into the house. There are other insects like wood boring beetles that you may be inviting into the home as well.

Bob

Outside it is then.

The second batch of wood that I picked up (from the guy who had a sick part of his white oak cut down) is not so great looking - eaten away on the inside and not as good looking as the batch of logs I picked up from the lot. Will it still be okay to burn? I will probably use it for test fires and such, but will make sure to keep it separate from the good batch.

When ya store it, use pallets or something similiar to keep it off the ground to help with air circulation under it and keep it from rotting.

Nice find on the oak! I found the same thing myself on Craigslist as well not too long ago. Just finally got around to splitting them.

Outside it is then.

The second batch of wood that I picked up (from the guy who had a sick part of his white oak cut down) is not so great looking - eaten away on the inside and not as good looking as the batch of logs I picked up from the lot. Will it still be okay to burn? I will probably use it for test fires and such, but will make sure to keep it separate from the good batch.
You should still split it and season the same as stated above. It will still be good to use. Good find.
I have a son-in-law from Texas. Hardwood here in Tn. is everywhere. I didn't think about the difficulities of getting wood until we visited Texas and realized that your trees are our bushes. :-D

You should still split it and season the same as stated above. It will still be good to use. Good find.
I have a son-in-law from Texas. Hardwood here in Tn. is everywhere. I didn't think about the difficulities of getting wood until we visited Texas and realized that your trees are our bushes. :-D

Maybe next time you come to visit your son-in-law, you should bring a trailer of oak for both of us!:becky:

The red oak will burn a little faster than the white. I use oak about 75% of the time.

Back