THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBQ Freak

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
BBQ Mojo
Smokin Hot BBQ sent me a custom made fire basket for me to do a review on for people that have a hard time keeping a coal base in their stick burner . It is a newer design and will be testing it out in my Shirley smoker tomorrow and cooking a brisket too . It is suppose to keep the coal base more contained to the center instead of it spreading out and dyeing out before you add the the next split and ignite quicker . He will custom build for any stick burner and asked me for my firebox measurements in advance to fit your cooker and video coming tomorrow . In all my Shirley Fabrication smoker's I have never had a problem with their design and keeping a coal base at all . It is all about when you add the next split and what size split too but I see some people having problems and most is the wood is not seasoned and this might help some out and will see .

Attachments

Looks good.

Personally, I like a flat grate but, I also enjoy playing with the fire and stacking splits and coals.

me too and never had a problem with a coal base in mine but some people just do not understand about air flow and when to add a split and the real test will be tomorrow if it works .

also if you have build from Shirley you will get a Shirley fire basket with your build and they will not deduct the price of their basket from a build .

Should work fine, looks similar to what Backline and Jambo build. I have a short clip of a BL basket and works flawlessly.

me too and never had a problem with a coal base in mine but some people just do not understand about air flow and when to add a split and the real test will be tomorrow if it works .
There are alot of us who have very small fireboxes. Using much shorter and narrower splits than when using in a Shirley, Lang etc. Also to help keep lower temps.
From my experience. The smaller splits do not leave much of a coal base to work with/keep. They burn up faster.
The 2 versions I built, 2 sizes. After seeing the LSG one posted earlier here. Helped alot with keeping the coals tight together. Much easier to keep the coal base. Not having to add coals after the first start up. I did not use expanded metal on the sides of my baskets like the one you posted. Again helping to keep the hot coals centered and together.
I do like that you remove the original coal basket with the one shown. As it has legs. Where the LSG did not.
Interested to see if it works better for you. Or doesn't really help in your Shirley.

Back