Got a Karubacue

Noisy bugger.

I wonder what was going through their heads when they decided they wanted to turn physics on it's head and make heat sink?:mrgreen:

Noisy bugger.

I wonder what was going through their heads when they decided they wanted to turn physics on it's head and make heat sink?:mrgreen:

They are cleaning the smoke by pulling it through the hot embers, which will burn off the unwanted constituents in dirty smoke. Doing so mechanically is not difficult. I am more concerned that the resulting smoke will be too clean and lose flavour.

There are two openings that feed the smoke to the box. One below for 'clean' smoke and one above the fire for 'dirty' smoke. You can open one or the other or both to taste.

Round 2 test tonight. Whole chicken @ 275 doing a "dirty burn" using hickory. Nothing fancy prep wise. A little oil and some rotisserie seasoning.

Last edited:
They are cleaning the smoke by pulling it through the hot embers, which will burn off the unwanted constituents in dirty smoke. Doing so mechanically is not difficult. I am more concerned that the resulting smoke will be too clean and lose flavour.

The "clean" burn is for long cooks like brisket. The "dirty" burn is for short cooks like chicken. Or you can do both as the same time. The whole point is to have to ability to adjust to your preference.

I'm still new with this and going to test the "dirty" burn tonight.

Interesting to see it in action. So it sucks the heat down. Seems a little counterproductive since heat likes to rise. Gotta have a lot of that wood burning just to pull some heat in. And don't get me wrong I would love to play with on and see how it works :-D

Interesting to see it in action. So it sucks the heat down. Seems a little counterproductive since heat likes to rise. Gotta have a lot of that wood burning just to pull some heat in. And don't get me wrong I would love to play with on and see how it works :-D

You have two valves. One below the fire and one above. There's a fan that creates a vacuum in the cook box that draws air/smoke from the fire box. You can close the top valve and it will draw from the bottom. The firebed will burn the smoke being sucked through the firebed creating a "clean" burn. Or you can close the bottom and it will draw from the top of the fire that's more dirty.

whole bird is in....

Use "dirty" mode around 275* using a mix of apple and hickory. Skin got dark I suspect because the oil. Its not burned. Skin was nice and crispy. Overall a perfect even cook. Smoke flavor was perfect. Not too light, not real heavy and bitter. Just right. I did not cut the breast because I'm saving it for tomorrow. : )

My opinion....this thing blows my old Kamado Joe out of the water. I'd rather babysit this thing than "set and forget" the Joe any day.

I suspect Bill Karau will eventually sell a ton of these.

Last edited:
You have two valves. One below the fire and one above. There's a fan that creates a vacuum in the cook box that draws air/smoke from the fire box. You can close the top valve and it will draw from the bottom. The firebed will burn the smoke being sucked through the firebed creating a "clean" burn. Or you can close the bottom and it will draw from the top of the fire that's more dirty.

Right but the fire/heat/smoke all comes from that top "chute" where the wood is burning and is drawn downward? Just curious.

Right but the fire/heat/smoke all comes from that top "chute" where the wood is burning and is drawn downward? Just curious.

You have the option of drawing from under the coal bed only, above it only, or both at the same time.

This gives you independent control of your smoke profile from your temperature at any range. Thats not possible with any other cooker. And its a "burning wood" profile. Not "smoldering charcoal" profile.

Last edited:
You have the option of drawing from under the coal bed only, above it only, or both at the same time.

This gives you independent control of your smoke profile from your temperature at any range. Thats not possible with any other cooker. And its a "burning wood" profile. Not "smoldering charcoal" profile.

Well said.

So I guess the question then is.........where is the coal bed? It is on top of the smoker just under the burning wood? Again I'm just trying to deduce if heat is getting pulled down at all times or if there is heat coming from anywhere else.

The Karubacueis really interesting. I hope you post a lot more about it in the future as you get used to it. I love the idea of having consistently good smoke from an all wood fire. Thanks for sharing.

I can tell you this so far. I live in Houston which is Mecca of quality offset pit builders. Gator Pit, Klose, Pitmaker, Lone Star Grillz, Pitts and Spitts, Pitts by JJ and others are all here.

I was wanting a good offset bad. The thing that kept me from pulling the trigger was the size, weight and learning curve of an offset. I could have got a cabinet cooker like the Pitmaker safe to have something smaller. But then I would still be using charcoal and chunks. I wanted real burning wood. Not smoldering chunks again.

Glad I didn't buy one. This cooker will do anything any offset can do, and better. You have fully independent temp and smoke control, it's light, it's mobile, and it uses real burning wood.

You do have to babysit the KBQ, but I think it's worth it.

I'm going to test on some cheap beef back ribs probably tomorrow.

Ok I watched the one video which I think answered my question. Is this the coal bed??

Yes, that the removable tray that the coal bed and logs sit on. Under that is hollow space that's the ash pan and the bottom valve that draws air from under the coals.

Last edited:
Back