Good Rib Rub

There are some real good recipes here, worth checking out. But if you want something ready to go, I would say +3 on BBS sweet n spicy. Good stuff, Maynard! Plowboys Yardbird also does a great job on any kind of pork I've put it on.

1 Cup - Turbinado Sugar
¼ Cup - Morton Kosher Salt
1 TBS - Garlic Powder
1 TBS - Onion Powder
1 TBS - Chili Powder
1 TBS - Coarse Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp - Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp - Dry Mustard
½ tsp - Cayenne Pepper

Combine all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until all ingredients are thoroughly combined and where the rub looks like granuales of beach sand... but not a fine powder.

I use Worchesire Sauce as a slather for the rub to stick to the meat and I leave the rub on my ribs for about 30 minutes or so while I get the smoker ready and up to smoking temp.

82Homework.... the coat of brown sugar sounds interesting. Actually firing up the smoker tomorrow--- might give it a shot.

Lots and lots of pepper, black, white, red, cayenne. A VERY little bit of salt. Maybe an off the shelf no salt seasoning, they are usually mainly garlic and onion powder. Hmmmm, anything else that might be laying about. I never really do it the same way.

Here's one that I like:

* 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
* 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
* 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
* 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
* 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon onion powder
* 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper

After a generous coverage of rub, I put a generous layer of brown sugar on top of the ribs. Let them sit, covered, for about 30 mins. You will know that they are ready when the brown sugar layer draws the moisture out of the ribs and changes to a darker colored glaze.

Place ribs bone side down on the pit and don't flip them during the cook.
Don't let temps get much over 250 as the sugar can burn.

good point(s) 82. If they're cooking 225-230, this looks like a very
nice one. If they're cooking at 250, this could be a disaster. Only
thing worse than burned sugar is an additional coating of tasty
creosote <spelling>.

I like my own concotion best. It varies weekly. 2nd would be Head Country. But something I use a lot is Morton's Season all. Available at the grocery store cheaply. It's pretty good as is, but add some brown sugar & cayenne, then it's very good.

Bad Byron's Butt Rub is good on ribs.
I also like a 50/50 mix of Plowboy's Yardbird and Bovine Bold.
Ribs get rubbed just before going on the cooker.

heres my recipe...
1) logon to greatlakes bbq supply
2) order some Cimmaron Docs Rib Rub

ditto

Plowboys "Yardbird" is great on ribs, and so is Slabs "Kyle Style".
I second that vote for The Slabs - Kyle Style. I keep hearing about plowboys so that will be in my future too just for good measure. If you are parculiar about MSG, however, The Slabs does use it in their rub. I used to avoid it, but can't find anything that tastes or works better for a straight-up unsauced rib.

thank you everyone...I have got to try some of these. I would hope that everyone's goal would be to create their own unique rub and do well in a competition. Have to learn to crawl before I can walk though!

82Homework.... the coat of brown sugar sounds interesting. Actually firing up the smoker tomorrow--- might give it a shot.

Please try it and report the results. Be sure to watch the temps (sugar will burn and it will ruin everything! personal experience there).

Back