Good Q in Cedar Rapids/Des Moines area

rksylves

Full Fledged Farker
Just found out that I'll be in the Cedar Rapids(/Des Moines) area August 29th -31st for work. Any notable BBQ joints to try out?

If anybody is competing and needs a DB or runner for the 26th/27th weekend, let me know and I'll look at bumping my flight to Friday afternoon. Always up for a good comp.

Russ

Jimmy Jacks Rib Shack in Iowa City is pretty good. Cedar Rapids used to have a place called Dry Heat (closed :sad:) that was really tasty. Now it is just BBQ This, or Al & Irene's (so-so).
Never ate there, but in Des Moines, there is Smokey D's; Jethro's BBQ; and Woody's Smoke Shack. Should be members from there chiming in.

Cool. Smokey D's it is. I ate at 'Al & Irene's' the last time I was there and was utterly shocked at how bad it had gotten. I mentioned it to somebody who lives up there and he mentioned that it had gotten sold and went downhill.

Any difference between the three SD's locations?

Really appreciate the responses.

Russ

I would hit the one on 2nd avenue, next to the Harley dealership right off the interstate. It is the largest location and that is where you will most likely find Darren or Shad. Plus you can see all the cool hardware they have won.

Woody's Smoke Shack is another good spot. It is in the center of town so not quite as convenient as the location above.

I would avoid Jethro's....but that's just me!!

Good luck!

I agree on Smokey D's on Second Ave. Pick a date & time and maybe we can have a mini-bash :idea:.

On Edit:

I just remembered - that is the weekend of the Nevada, Iowa contest. Put a post in the Compitition Forum offering your services, or send a PM to Pat (I think he's cooking that one). If you just want to hang with some teams & need a place to crash, I'll be judging that comp & will have my fifth wheeler there.

Back