THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I did the same

I have been making these since he posted the recipe. I make them at least 1 to 2 times a week now. I added a 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes per jar and about 1/4 cayenne to each jar. Just the right amount of pop in them. We even deep fried some for Memorial Day! Very good!!

I too have made Marubozo's and the pickles are great. I cant get the small pickling cucumbers here so I use regular cucumbers and cut off the ends until the seeds appear.
I somewhat altered his recipe to suite my taste.
Makes 2 Pint Jars
4 cucumbers
2 cups water
1.25 cups vinegar
4-8 garlic cloves, smashed
3 T Kosher Salt, or less depending on taste/tolerance
1/4-1/2 T sugar
1/4 t dill seed per jar
1/4 t mustard seed per jar
1/4 t coriander seed per jar
1/4 t celery seed per jar
1/4 t black peppercorns per jar
1/4 t red pepper flakes per jar
1/2-1 t Tabasco per jar
optional, add 1 favorite hot pepper, quartered (i've only used a Serrano pepper, minus the seeds and 1/2 pepper in each jar. If I use a pepper, I'll cut back on the Tabasco and red pepper flakes as the pepper gives a nice kick).
Peel cucumbers and slice lengthwise. Slice 1/4 inch thick and set aside.
Place water and vinegar in pot with garlic, sugar and salt and bring to a boil. Once sugar and salt is dissolved, remove from heat.
Add coriander seed, mustard seed, dill seed, celery seed, peppercorns, tabasco, red pepper flakes and garlic to each jar. Fill jar with cucumber slices, packing tight. pour brine over cucumbers until almost covered. Seal and let cool. Shake and turn jar several times to activate spices. Refrigerate for 24 hrs and enjoy.
Note these are not canned so they need to be kept in the fridge.
This works for me but may not be for everyone.

Just made my first batch of Marubozo's pickles, and tried one a few minutes ago. Seems like it was SUPER salty, so definitely will cut back on that next time. Ill let them sit a few more days and see the end result. Appreciate everyone posting their updates/changes/tweaks here!

Our pickling cucumber plants are popping out 2 or 3 cukes a day now. probably be making more this weekend...

First pickles

I tried to bump the pickle recipe thread but it's too old now - new thread it is.

I made my first batch of pickles on Sunday - fantastic!! :clap: My dad used to make pickles but they were no match for these.

I spent $35 and two hours getting jars and ingredients. Except for cucumbers I've got plenty left over to make more batches.

Pickling cucumbers were hard to come by. I finally found them but they're sold in a pack of 5 for $2.99 :twitch:. I need to find them for a more reasonable price.

Also, here in San Diego, Hungarian wax peppers are hard to come by. I must have hit six or seven stores looking for them. I ultimately ended up with yellow peppers - not sure exactly what they are, it didn't say on the shelf. I was hoping the receipt would help, but no. Yellow peppers.

It took about four days to start tasting any heat, but it's starting to show now. I think I'd double the yellow pepper count, but I've got ready access to jalapeno, habanero, Anaheim, Serrano, all kinds of other peppers I'd like to try.

Bottom line - I've got my small Christmas gifts figured out! :clap2: I'll finish off this batch myself, but I'll get started on the rest ASAP.

Thanks!

So... what recipe did you use? I may have to try to make my own pickles.

I recently tried my hand at pickling this past weekend too. gona crack one open today and see how they are coming. I did green peppers, cucumbers, and green cherry tomatoes.

A new thread is fine, but it is possible to post in an older thread. All you have to do is check a little box as shown below :-D

Attachments

• old thread.jpg
    old thread.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 131

Attachments

• Pickle recipe.pdf
    41.7 KB · Views: 28
Pickling cucumbers were hard to come by. I finally found them but they're sold in a pack of 5 for $2.99 :twitch:. I need to find them for a more reasonable price.

Our local grocery store sells the "fancy" pickling cukes in packs like that, but they also sell individuals cheaper. Usually in a small bin next to the regular cukes.

Also, here in San Diego, Hungarian wax peppers are hard to come by. I must have hit six or seven stores looking for them. I ultimately ended up with yellow peppers - not sure exactly what they are, it didn't say on the shelf. I was hoping the receipt would help, but no. Yellow peppers.

It took about four days to start tasting any heat, but it's starting to show now. I think I'd double the yellow pepper count, but I've got ready access to jalapeno, habanero, Anaheim, Serrano, all kinds of other peppers I'd like to try.

I use Habanero's for mine, but we like spicy stuff. I usually add one to each jar. I slice them into quarters and I add them in with the garlic to the boiling water. My thought was that this would extract some of the oil and get it in the brine mix. Then when I go to pack the jars, I just make sure to put four in each jar.

Just made my first batch of Marubozo's pickles, and tried one a few minutes ago. Seems like it was SUPER salty, so definitely will cut back on that next time. Ill let them sit a few more days and see the end result. Appreciate everyone posting their updates/changes/tweaks here!

I made a half-salt batch and they were lacking a bit in flavor. If you do it again, try with 3/4 of the salt.

I'm with you on pickles or pickled veggies with barbecue. I think it's the vinegar flavor, or maybe the crunch... but I like 'em. Hmmm, looks like I like crackers too. :mrgreen:

SCTYCu8.jpg

Yo5cp.jpg

I use "Refrigerator Mix" from Mrs. Wages to pickle all kinds of stuff.

OH5bHHG.jpg

Back