Going to Carolina in My Mind

BKish25

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Bruce
It's been a long while since I last chowed down at Sticky Fingers BBQ in Charleston, SC. And, since the weather was cooperating, I decided to do some pulled pork with a nice gold South Carolina sauce.

My wife and I spent Friday night injecting the pork butt with brine and slathering it with a paprika-brown sugar rub. Saturday morning, 0630, I'm getting ready to go ...

ry%3D400
ry%3D400

However, it was so humid it took the better part of an hour to finally get the charcoal lit and burnt down for smoking. I covered the coals with applewood chunks, put the lid on, and turned on the Marshall Tucker Band. About halfway through the "Carolina Dreams" album I'm ready to start smoking, around 0750. I managed to keep the temperature between 225-235. My son gets up just in time to see the meat at the halfway mark.

ry%3D480

Turning the meat. The pork was already starting to fall apart, so it was a tricky job getting it turned over.

ry%3D480

Applying a cider vinegar-based mop.

ry%3D480

On the homestretch. Marked time by the pitcher of Lynchburg Lemonade. Mom dropped by for dinner around 4. The meat was done soon after.

ry%3D480

Mom volunteered to shred all 12 pounds of it.

ry%3D480

Pork sandwiches were served along with fresh corn and tomatoes from the farmer's market, and a bottle of Chamborcin from a local winery.

ry%3D480

Amen to Charleston SC. ! We started out there way back when.

Great looking cook!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc1laHfpdiE"]The Charlie Daniels Band - Carolina.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

You gotta love that carolina sauce!! I am a charleston, sc man transplanted to ohio and miss all the good lowcountry bbq sauces and rubs. Good job and nice looking cook.

Pulled pork (Low Country) Carolina Style, Marshall Tucker from just up the road from me. It doesn't get much better than that!!! And btw, Carolina welcomes you back any chance you get. To quote Tom Bodett: We'll leave the light on for you!!! Good looking cook!!

Pulled pork (Low Country) Carolina Style, Marshall Tucker from just up the road from me. It doesn't get much better than that!!! And btw, Carolina welcomes you back any chance you get. To quote Tom Bodett: We'll leave the light on for you!!! Good looking cook!!

Thanks!

To quote Toy Caldwell of MTB:

And it's a lonesome feeling in my mind
A feeling I can't seem to leave behind
Carolina's where I'm at and I'll always hang my hat
Under those Blue Ridge Mountain Skies

That's delish looking food , but now I have a song stuck in my head:doh:

Back