THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radrob

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Rob
I picked up a New Braunsfels offset on CL for $50, it's in good shape and was only used 3 times for steaks. Here's the beaut as I got it.
100_1844.jpg

100_1842.jpg

100_1841.jpg

I took it home did a little cleaning and tested it for leaks using charcoal and chips, I found it has a few door leaks and it cooks hot especially next to the firebox. After researching mods I noticed the FB was mounted higher than it need to be and the FB opening was too big. I decided to try to make it more like the Old Country brand offsets.

Here's a screenshot from Tom's Test Kitchen reviewing his Old Country Pit, you can see the size opening compared to this COS.
Old_Country_Pit_fb_opening.jpg

100_1851.jpg

First was to lower the FB and decrease the size of the FB exhaust into the CC. I used plate steel and bolted it together in case this didn't work. I took it apart and started marking for the new FB outlet and pre drilled all the mounting bolts. I don't have anymore leaks between the FB and CC.
100_1853.jpg

I got it mounted back up and you can see how much I closed off.
100_1877.jpg

100_1874.jpg

100_1878.jpg

Next I cut a heat deflector and made baffle/tuning plates
100_1873.jpg

I didn't like the FB door, it had leaks all around because they didn't install plate on the inside to get a good seal.
100_1858.jpg

100_1857.jpg

I used the top of an old barrel and closed off most of the door, the vent still works fine.
100_1875.jpg

100_1876.jpg

I ordered a new 4" stack to move it to the side at grate level but wanted to test it before doing that mod.
100_1855.jpg

I cleaned it up, sprayed it down with canola oil, set a water pan on the tuning plate filled with bacon chunks and water, cooked some pork fatty pieces and added a Sprite can to lower the stack to grill level. Let the seasoning/testing begin.
100_1890.jpg

I let it go for about 6 hours and checked it every once in a while to add another log and check the temps. Here's some temps when the fire dropped, I'm impressed it's holding a steady temp across all the grates.
Left side near the FB
100_1889.jpg

Right side near the stack
100_1888.jpg

Factory gauge on the door
100_1881.jpg

The seasoning worked great, it looks like it's ready to cook now.
100_1908.jpg

Later that day I fired it back up to smoke some stuffed turkey wings, it held temp perfect(about 250) using very little wood for this 5 hour cook.
100_1913.jpg

A few hours later
0000639.jpg

It's blurry but it sitting at 250
0000575.jpg

100_1891.jpg

I cooked 2 hours then wrapped in foil with apple juice for another 2 hours, sticky juicy snacks.
100_1914.jpg

100_1915.jpg

The real test will come his weekend when I do a butt or brisket. I'll make a decision then about adding the 4" stack but I think I'll add it just to get that space on the grate and it should pull harder for better heat.

Any thoughts/ideas on the 4" stack? I did use a few calculators and the FB exhaust opening and stack size is what I came up with.

Thanks Ron

Smitty I'm thinking I should too. I got that idea from the Old Country Pit video I took screenshots from. It looks like the bottom is at grate level, should I go the same route or drop down a little below grate level?
Old_Country_inside_view2.jpg

I cooked a butt and beef back rubs last weekend and the mods worked like a charm. I used more wood than I thought I would but it was windy and it rained a few times during the cook. I set up under the patio so the pit didn't get wet but the wind was a challenge sometimes.

I thought it came out good for the first cook using all wood.

Attachments

No, I still have the same exhaust but I removed the extension for the first few hours. I wanted to see what difference it made but I couldn't tell because the wind was blowing from all directions. I'm gonna get that done this week. Last week was crazy busy. I cooked a whole chicken on the uds Thursday and BBQ'd old school with no smoke last night.

Back