THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bproffer

Take a breath!
I have been asked by one of the youth leaders at church to give a bbq/grilling class to the 14-18 year old young men the next couple of weeks during their weeknight youth group. I happily agreed, but I am not much of a teacher. I don't think it will be hard, but I want to make it fun and informative at the same time. I was asked to break it up to two one hour sessions. I only have an hour, so I need to keep it pretty simple I think.

Here is what I am thinking:

First night- (principles and techniques)
Types of grills (gas/charcoal)
Grilling techniques (direct/indirect)
Difference between smoking and grilling
Seasonings
Food safety

Second night-

Actual cooking- something easy since they only have an hour or so. Maybe burgers? This way each boy can season and grill their own.

So what do you think? Any suggestions? I think for the first night I'd like to find a grilling cheat sheet/temp chart and laminate it for a handout and the second week I'd like to give the boys each their own digital food temp probe (if I can find one cheap enough $5-&10 range).

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions, and mods, if this is in the wrong place feel free to move it.

I don't know if you were listing the order of lessons with each day, but you might start off with the food safety bit so that the information there can be incorporated throughout.

As far as the content is concerned, you pretty much have it all covered. I'll throw a few more out that may or may not be what you are going for or may be more advanced than you want.

- Cuts of meat
- Tools / accessories (general, not brand specific)
- Rare/Medium/Well
- Common misconceptions

As for the thermometer, if you can get one worth using for that price, go for it. If it ends up being more frustration than it is worth for the user, it can turn some people off.

That's a neat thing that you're doing. Hope it goes well and is appreciated by the attendees.

I would suggest making food for them to eat each night. Maybe some chicken thighs kr hamburgers the first night. I would prep some food the first night as well to cook for the second night (ribs or a butt maybe). Get there early the second day and have it ready before the end of the second night.

I don't know if you were listing the order of lessons with each day, but you might start off with the food safety bit so that the information there can be incorporated throughout.

As far as the content is concerned, you pretty much have it all covered. I'll throw a few more out that may or may not be what you are going for or may be more advanced than you want.

- Cuts of meat
- Tools / accessories (general, not brand specific)
- Rare/Medium/Well
- Common misconceptions

As for the thermometer, if you can get one worth using for that price, go for it. If it ends up being more frustration than it is worth for the user, it can turn some people off.

That's a neat thing that you're doing. Hope it goes well and is appreciated by the attendees.

There will really be one night of instruction and one night of cooking. So I need to make it meaningful, but it really is a lot of info to fit into one hour. Hence having to keep it simple I think. But I will definitely go over cuts of meat, doneness, etc...

I would suggest making food for them to eat each night. Maybe some chicken thighs kr hamburgers the first night. I would prep some food the first night as well to cook for the second night (ribs or a butt maybe). Get there early the second day and have it ready before the end of the second night.

I have thought about that. Problem is it is 2 classes a week apart.

I would do some quick things like chicken wings or drums and also stuffed, grilled mushrooms. They will go crazy If they are anything like my 15 year old son. His most recent coherent sentance was "I need meat! ".

Can you have some burgers already made and ready to serve for Class 1? Imagine this scenario:

Kids enter the class/camp area, 'What's that awesome smell?' is whispered by a handful.

BProffer appears, hands everyone a burger, and asks, 'How would YOU like to know how to make meat that tastes like THIS?'

Nom nom nom nom nonstop, though you *think* you've heard someone say with a full mouth, 'Best class EVER!'.

Now THAT's how you make them yours, first minute of the first class.

That's what I would do!

Can you have some burgers already made and ready to serve for Class 1? Imagine this scenario:

Kids enter the class/camp area, 'What's that awesome smell?' is whispered by a handful.

BProffer appears, hands everyone a burger, and asks, 'How would YOU like to know how to make meat that tastes like THIS?'

Nom nom nom nom nonstop, though you *think* you've heard someone say with a full mouth, 'Best class EVER!'.

Now THAT's how you make them yours, first minute of the first class.

That's what I would do!

That's how you get attention.
Great reply to a post.
For what it's worth,I was what we call a youth worker down here ,working with borderline kids.
That approach always gave results.
Kudos to the op for taking the time:thumb:

Sounds like a great idea! My brother is 18 and he loves to eat. Maybe the first night you could have wings on to show them indirect grilling while you are talking and then when they are done you could snack on them while more talking. Then the second night show them more hands on cooking with how to setup a grill properly and then cook direct like burgers or maybe some marinated london broil and make sammies with the meat. Hope it goes well for you!

I say start them out with some cooking the first night. I'm going to assume you will be using a weber grill? I would use 2. Have one up and going with some chicken wings indirect. Use the other grill to show how to start the fire, setup a grill for direct/indirect, fire safety etc. Next I would go through food safety, seasonings and prep some burgers for a direct cook. If the wings are done sauce and keep warm or serve them up right away. Next cook them burgers up and serve with the wings.

For the second class I would have a slab or two of ribs pre-smoked warming up on the grill using what ever method you use to smoke on a grill. I think I would then show them how to prep ribs, remove the skin, trim st louis style and season. All the while going over lessons from the first class like times, temps and food safety. I would show them how to set up the grill or smoker for a long cook and explain the theory behind low-n-slow cooking certain types of meat. Near the end of the hour serve up those warned up ribs.

I guess what I'm saying is that I would break it up into a general bbq knowledge, grilling session. And then a smoking, general knowledge session.

Back