Ghost pepper

Thanks man. As far as soil what do you use. I bought a two foot plant and its in a small container that I need to move it out of. Already getting some small looking peppers coming out.
In a previous life, (about 13 years ago) I was actually a nursery manager, so maybe I can be of some help here. If you plan on growing in a container, you could probably find a good ready to use garden soil in one of the box stores. Even better if there's a small Ma and Pop nursery near by where you may find a good organic mix. Otherwise you can mix equal 1/3 parts of sand, top soil and compost and then maybe have a couple of inches of mulch on top for water retention. If you are planting in the ground and the soil is untreated, then dig a hole twice the size of the root ball, ( in width and a few inches deeper than the root ball is tall) mix the excavated soil with an equal amount of compost and use the mixture as a planting mix, planting the root ball about an inch higher than ground level to allow for settling. You would probably want to invest in some root stimulator which is usually a 1-0-0 fertilizer with Vit. B-1 added or grab some liquid seaweed. It works well for a stimulator and is also really good during hot summer months for stressed roots due to drought, (we have to contend with a lot of that here in Texas.) If the roots are really tight and compacted you will probably want to separate the roots a little by gently pulling them apart at the bottom of the root ball. The bottom of the root ball will be mushroomed out a little and doing this will get the roots to go out rather than continuing to grow in a circular pattern as they did in the pot. This will keep them from continuing to tighten and eventually becoming root-bound. That's about it, If you have any questions shoot me a message! Good Luck!!!:wink:

Can I take my plant from outside and put it in a pot and keep it growing through the winter? Will it keep producing peppers through the winter or kind of go dormant until the spring again?
Most of the pepper plants tend to be annuals and are good for one season. A greenhouse environment will prolong the growing period but eventually the plant will need to be replaced. Just harvest the seeds and start them in some peat pots in the spring. You can plant the entire pot and it will biodegrade leaving the roots in contact with their new home.:-D

I grew some a few years back. To me they were too hot to do anything with. All I can add is if you grind them up do it outside with the wind to your back. :doh:

You can just freeze them as is too. I freeze my habanero peppers all the time. Freezing will soften the texture of them, but you probably arent using them for their texture like you might with a bell pepper or even a jalapeno. Its easy and less hassle.

Back