Getting Serious UDS PrOn

StanDaMan79

Full Fledged Farker
Just put the finishing touches on my UDS Friday, grinding and painting it up. Even painted my Weber Kettle, so I could have a matched set!

Anyway, this was actually my third cook on it, the first too helped me dial in the air adjustments, and get to know when my coals were ready, by reading the smoke. Just got to do it a couple times to get a feel for it. Anyway....

My wife bought a couple of Swift petite pork roasts, had no idea what I was working with, all i had to go on was that the packaging said, "great for crockpot" I had bought a corned beef for some Pastrami, so it would be a combo cook.

Mustard and rub for the Pork. Coarse ground pepper, corriander, garlic, little red pepper for the brisket.

Put them on at 275, temp bounced between there and 300, but I just left it alone. I pulled the corned beef after it got some smoke and color and wrapped it in foil, put it back on until it reached 200m then removed it and wrapped it.

I wasn't sure what to do with the pork, so I pulled one at 160 and left the other on to get to 200. The 160 roast was sliced up and though it did npt appear that it was ever going to get to a "pull' state, as it seemed just too lean, none the less it was very tender, and it made some great bbq pork sliders once dressed with a little sauce. The other roast was wrapped and put in the fridge with the cheater Pastrami.

Sliced both up for game day, wife made more sliders, they vanished pretty fast, but the Pastrami tasted more like corned beef to me, but I can't complain. I think they turned out good, but not spectacular.

To finish off my week end smoke a thon, I gave those Moink Balls a go, but after completion, and re reading the rules for Moink Ball Certification, I have to declare my self ineligible, as I didn't use all beef meatballs. Dang

They were tasty though, half of them were gone before I could get the camera. I'll try again when I get the proper balls, lol Thanks for reading, all suggestions welcome regarding temp and cook times
IMG_3721_zpsdb9622b1.jpg

If moinks got pork, are they Poinks?

I don't know, they were a chicken-pork-beef blend. Not a lot of choices at our little local market, it was these, or some brand I never heard of. Oh well, they are easy to make and I'll try again.

Really happy with the UDS. What a great return on your time when you build one. I learned a lot, made a few deviations from the basic layout. A couple I could do without, but it didn't seem to affect it too much. If time proves other wise, I got another barrel waiting.
been keeping a notebook on whats been working or not, should help out. I'd like to see more cook time/temp info as a rough guideline for trying new things. I'll just keep reading my way through this section and it should come

Back