getting bark on a ceramic

eagle697

is one Smokin' Farker
I did a large cook last weekend and for the first time did a direct comparison between my ceramic cookers and my bandera. While the tast on both was good, i noticed a serious difference in the bark. The bark on the ceramics is very thin and relatively flavorless compared to the deep mahogony colored bark from teh bandera. I have been thinking this for a while, but this is the first time i have had a direct comaprison. I used the same rub on both. Made a bed of charcoal and burned oak and cherry in the bandera. In the primo and grilldome i had royal oak with 3-4 fist sized chunks of oak and cherry. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a way to get a good, thick bark on ceramics? I love the ease of ceramics, and so far, this is the only drawback i see, other than the lack of excuse to sit out on the deck and drinking while i cook:-D.

Were you cooking brisket, pork shoulder or ribs ??

Curious to see what others opinions are... Maybe there is more moisture retention with the ceramics ?

this time it was pork butts. I have noticed a softer bark on briskets in the ceramics as well. It does seem like the bark is very moist, to the point of being soggy.

Ramp up the heat a BIT in the ceramics - they retain moisture well enough to go to like 265 on a Pork Shoulder or a Brisket (only in the quest for Bark - unnecessary otherwise)

I don't own a ceramic, however, I experience the same thing with a Gravity-feed charcoaler. I have convinced myself that is the lack of air flow.

I have a much better bark on butts and briskets when using the stickburner compared to when I use the Gravity-feed. I figure it's the airflow. Much more airflow in a stickburner than a charcoaler. It's not soggy....just not as crispy.....and I LOVE the crispy bark.

it is the extra moisture in a ceramic cooker causing the softer bark. I agree with the air flow statement above also..when I had my pitts and spitts offset, my bark was great (I just got tired of tending the fire so much!). When I went to a Stumps, I think the overall quality of my que improved, but the bark was not as crisp for sure...now on my Primo, I think my que is just as good as on the Stumps (some food a lot better too), but the bark is definately a bit softer...I usually try and cook brisket, ribs, and butts around 250 in the Primo and I do NOT use any kind of liquid in the cooker (I do have a drip pan, but after trying it filled with liquid, I get better results from using no liquid).

I find that if I rub a very corse black pepper and a corse salt on the outside of my egg it ends up with a nice bark. :rolleyes:

I think the point on a little higher temp for bark is the key. I found that out by accident the last time a did a butt on the dome.

Back