Gettin' the new WSM DIRTY! W/ PRON! *** ADDED!***

Ummm...okay, I guess one of us have misunderstood the Minion method. My understanding is that the unlit charcoal goes into the firebox/grill/whatever in a ring shape or a pile and the burning coals are poured on top or in the middle or beside the unlit coals so that the lighted coals ignite the unlit coals for a more consistent/longer burn time - not that they are lighted together in a single chimney.

Brethren, help us out...maybe GreasePig has invented a new method...

Nah, nothing new. I did just what you said! :p

Had the ring full of unlit charcoal. Lit about 30 bricks in the bottom of the chimney and let them get white. Poured the lit ones on top of the unlit and threw on the food! :cool:

This is why I'm confused....If so, why the upside down chimney?

This is why I'm confused....If so, why the upside down chimney?

I used the chimney upside down because I was just starting a small amount of bricks. The bottom of the chimney holds just about the perfect amount of bricks to start a fire minion method. I could have used the chimney the "right" way also, but since the little basket on the bottom keeps all the bricks together nicely so the fire gets going better when starting a small amount of bricks I will flip the chimney over.

I didn't invent this by far. I have seen people do this for years and it is even demonstrated on the weber forums.

If I am going to start a whole chimney then I use it the "right" way, but if I am just starting a few for a minion start then the other way works too.

I used the chimney upside down because I was just starting a small amount of bricks. The bottom of the chimney holds just about the perfect amount of bricks to start a fire minion method. I could have used the chimney the "right" way also, but since the little basket on the bottom keeps all the bricks together nicely so the fire gets going better when starting a small amount of bricks I will flip the chimney over.

I didn't invent this by far. I have seen people do this for years and it is even demonstrated on the weber forums.

If I am going to start a whole chimney then I use it the "right" way, but if I am just starting a few for a minion start then the other way works too.

I've seen this method before to light a smaller amount of coals. It's in a "How To" video as well.

I know nothing about the Minion method yet so this thread was very useful, thanks. Greasepig, I also got my WSM last weekend and haven't had time to get it crank up yet. Nice job, I'm inspired

Dave

GreasePig;[URL="javascript:void(0)" said:
1009676[/URL]]I used the chimney upside down because I was just starting a small amount of bricks. The bottom of the chimney holds just about the perfect amount of bricks to start a fire minion method. I could have used the chimney the "right" way also, but since the little basket on the bottom keeps all the bricks together nicely so the fire gets going better when starting a small amount of bricks I will flip the chimney over.

Doh, I get it now - I thought you meant...oh never mind....my mistake. Sorry. Good job, btw

span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

Great coloring on those birds....I just tried Yardbird last night on some chicken for the first time and it was absolutely amazing.

Back