Gettin my beef short ribs on!(pron)

SmokeFan

Full Fledged Farker
About an hour into my first attempt with beef short ribs. I covered them with worchestire sauce, then applied Butchers Honey rub, followed by Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy rub.

They are getting smoked at 250 on my BGE, with a few chunks of Apple for good measure.

I plan to foil them after 3 hours, putting in some juice(or maybe beer), squeeze parkay and more rub. Basically treating like when I do spare ribs. Updates to follow!

Here's when they first went on:

IMG_5217.jpg

And an hour in:

IMG_5218.jpg

Yum!

I was eyeballing some boneless short ribs the other day and failed to pull the trigger! They were only $.20/lb more than the bone in version, and looked great. Regretting it now.

Yum!

I was eyeballing some boneless short ribs the other day and failed to pull the trigger! They were only $.20/lb more than the bone in version, and looked great. Regretting it now.

El Ropo, i just cooked my 2nd batch of boneless short ribs, did not like either batch, everything was ok but the flavor was just not there. I will not try a 3rd batch of boneless, its bone on or nothing.

Thanks everybody! I'm 3 hours in and they just went in the foil with some honey, squeeze parkay, a little "better than bouillion" in water, and of course more Simply Marvelous. They look awesome so far!

Right before I pulled em for the foil:

IMG_5219.jpg

El Ropo, i just cooked my 2nd batch of boneless short ribs, did not like either batch, everything was ok but the flavor was just not there. I will not try a 3rd batch of boneless, its bone on or nothing.

I don't have an answer for you on that, other than the bone helps to move things along as it heats up. Now I gotta get some and give it a whirl.

Could you explain what you didn't like about them?

I don't have an answer for you on that, other than the bone helps to move things along as it heats up. Now I gotta get some and give it a whirl.

Could you explain what you didn't like about them?

Mostly what i did not like was that the ribs were getting over done and the collagen had not totally broken down inside the ribs, other than that the ribs were mostly fine. I guess with the bone attached the ribs heat up more evenly and cook more evenly.

Well. here's a pic of the final product. The flavor was there, but I just ran out of time getting them to give up. They were a bit tough. I smoked them for 3 hours, and then foiled for another 3. They also got about 30 minutes in the open again.

Lesson learned, despite the apparent smaller size, they require a LONG time to cook. Anyway here's the pic:

IMG_5221.jpg

Short Ribs not short on flavor

I love short ribs. I understand your pain.
I have learned from trial and error. I have
served a few batches of not yet done short ribs.
cooked one batch to 205 deg and they still hadn't
fully rendered all their fat yet.. I treat short ribs a
lot like I would treat a brisket.. foil might be a texas
crutch but they make short ribs more betterer:mrgreen:
The short ribs I have been playing with lately, come
from restaurant depot. full racks three or four bone racks.

They sure look good. I cook them around 275F now, still goes about 6 hours, they do take a while. I prefer the longer ones.

Those look good. I soon figured out that they take a LOT longer to cook than baby backs, like several hours longer. Taste is great though. :thumb:

Boneless short ribs are usually cut from the chuck flap.(right behind the shoulder where the ribs start) These are also called flanken ribs They are not short ribs that are boned out. The BI short ribs usually come from the plate. The plate is along the side of the steer, along the curvature almost on the bottom. Think of it as the chest, if a steer had a chest! Two very different locations on the critter.

Those are looking great. That is a great idea to try! Going on the to do list.

Thanks for sharing!
Mike

Boneless short ribs are usually cut from the chuck flap.(right behind the shoulder where the ribs start) These are also called flanken ribs They are not short ribs that are boned out. The BI short ribs usually come from the plate. The plate is along the side of the steer, along the curvature almost on the bottom. Think of it as the chest, if a steer had a chest! Two very different locations on the critter.

Those are looking great. That is a great idea to try! Going on the to do list.

Thanks for sharing!
Mike

I always cook flanken ribs, the flanken ribs i cook always have 3-4 bones, flanken ribs are very delish. Bone just makes meat taste better.

I always cook flanken ribs, the flanken ribs i cook always have 3-4 bones, flanken ribs are very delish. Bone just makes meat taste better.

Absolutely! Bone in meat tastes much better IMO. BI Flanken ribs can be hard to find! It's funny how names for the same cut of meat can be so different regionally, and certain cuts can be hard or impossible to find. I'm Lucky in that I can get Bone In chucks. Those are really hard to find. at least around here.

--Mike

Absolutely! Bone in meat tastes much better IMO. BI Flanken ribs can be hard to find! It's funny how names for the same cut of meat can be so different regionally, and certain cuts can be hard or impossible to find. I'm Lucky in that I can get Bone In chucks. Those are really hard to find. at least around here.

--Mike

Here in South Tx one can pretty much find any cut of meat, flanken ribs also go by the name crosscut ribs. What i really wish i could find is a good meaty beef spare rib hard to come by, most beef spares are shiners. Imho beef spares are the grand daddy of all ribs pork or beef.

Back