Generator Question

I could be wrong but I believe the FEC only draws 5 amps when the ignitor first starts, and needs 1 amp to run the controller board after initial start up.

I will have to look into this. If this is the case, I should be ok because I dont start my steam table up until later.

I could be wrong but I believe the FEC only draws 5 amps when the ignitor first starts, and needs 1 amp to run the controller board after initial start up.

I really have no idea here, never seen this smoker. But I do have to question this simply from what their website says:

The FEC100 runs at 5 amps @ 120 VAC, which means pennies per hour operating cost.

In my experience if theres a significant power draw during a start up period and normal running time, it usually says so. But again, I've never seen this smoker (don't want to get into an aurgrument). What you said makes perfect since. Its something to confirm though before buying a generator and finding out its undersized.

From what you (OP) are saying, you really ought to move up to the 3000W generators. You want plenty of head room. And you will be adding more draw as you go along.

If you decide to go two hondas in parrel, then maybe you could start with one and see how it works. But I wouldn't buy the 2000W unless you are planning to buy two of them.

thats just my humble opinion. And its based on the fact its your money, not mine

• Thanks
Reactions: Dex

This is right. I called Bill at Cookshack and spoke with him about it. It's 5A at initial startup when the fire is getting started. After that, the fan and auger is the only thing running and he said it would be less than 1 amp and probably only a couple hundered watts.... if that.

I think I am going to start with the eu2000i, then add another one as needed down the road. This will be a little easier on the pocket book to start with :redface:

Sorry, was going to post about the FEC continuous draw, but somehow I missed the middle of the thread...
But while I have your attention -and on a related topic - has anyone had any problem with the Honda gens sine wave when powering the FEC? Thanks!

Last edited:
This is right. I called Bill at Cookshack and spoke with him about it. It's 5A at initial startup when the fire is getting started. After that, the fan and auger is the only thing running and he said it would be less than 1 amp and probably only a couple hundered watts.... if that.

I think I am going to start with the eu2000i, then add another one as needed down the road. This will be a little easier on the pocket book to start with :redface:

that changes things then. Good to call in a check. Like I said, no experience on this unit and what trucky said sounded very plausable. But usually if theres that big of a difference in power draws the manufacturer will say that in the manual. Diffently worth checking out before spending the money you are going to be spending.

This may be a bumb question, but I have to ask...I have an 8000w Briggs and Stratton Elite genny. This thing is a workhorse, but it's loud.

I only ever use the 30Amp Twist circuit and never pop the fuse. Question is, is the 8000w too much? If I get a generator with a 30Amp twist circuit, will it handle my load, or does it have something to do with the 8000w I'm running.

I'm not much of an electrical guy, so I'd appreciate your help bigtime.

I have to say I have never heard of a "twist" circuit, but I have worked in electricity all my life. What is that exactly? Otherwise, since you've never "popped" the fuse, your usage is less than 3600 watts (current x voltage = watts). You should be fine with a generator that is half the size of what you're using now. The 8000w is just its capability, not how much it's actually powering. I hope this helps!

Just an update guys... I bought the eu2000i. Man this thing is awesome. I do plan to purchase another one probably in the next couple of months when I need to get another steam table.

FWIW...I run my concession trailer off of a Honda 6500 inverter generator & have never had any problems with the electronics on my FEC 100

You can always start the FEC 100 by hand to avoid using the ignitor, if using it would max your generator out. It's quick and easy...and the unit draws very little power once it's running.

You can always start the FEC 100 by hand to avoid using the ignitor, if using it would max your generator out. It's quick and easy...and the unit draws very little power once it's running.[/QUOTE]

Do you just turn it on and set the temp and run time and not have to hit "start," or does it sense the temp in the pot when you hit start and not fire the igniter? I've never really considered doing it this way, but I can see where it would be beneficial to know how! Thanks!

Back