Generator Location

ewatts2003

Full Fledged Farker
Good afternoon everyone! I am going to take the leap and do my first competition, maybe 2, this year and I'm in the process of laying out my space to make sure everything will fit and flow together. My plan is to have all of the cookers, sink station, prep tables, cambro, etc...under 2 10x10 pop ups, and then have a 3rd 10x10 pop up for a "hospitality" tent. Am I correct in assuming the average site size for a KCBS comp is 20 x 20? One of my main questions is where do you guys usually put your generator at a comp that doesn't supply power? Do you try and put it in a corner away from everything else, or does it really not matter? I'm going to be getting a Honda 2200 if that helps. Thanks in advance!

The corner should be fine. As long as it's out of the way. But it's really up to you

I will try and get a drawing uploaded of how much setup should look. I have one local fair contest that I do every year that has small spaces so I'm trying to tighten everything down to a 10 wide x 20 deep spot mainly for it. I was thinking about putting the generator under the 5x8 utility trailer that the cookers sit on but I didn't know if that was a good idea or not.

First, thanks for using a quiet generator :-D

Second, I look at our layout as well as our neighbor's layouts and try to find a place that impacts all of us the least. Not just with the noise, but the exhaust as well!

Quiet generator is the only way to go! I assisted a team at a recent event and they have a very nice setup with a Yamaha EF4500ise that is as quiet as a church mouse...the site right next to them however had a contractors generator that could be heard across the whole contest.

My serious recommendation would be to skip the "Hospitality" tent. First contest, keep your focus on the cook, not entertaining.

Regarding the generator, it would depend on the layout with other teams. Although it will be quiet, you don't want to put it closer to them than yourself.

My serious recommendation would be to skip the "Hospitality" tent. First contest, keep your focus on the cook, not entertaining.

Regarding the generator, it would depend on the layout with other teams. Although it will be quiet, you don't want to put it closer to them than yourself.

Maybe "hospitality" tent isn't the correct term I should've used. I mean a separate pop up with sides for relaxing/sleeping on the overnight cook. For the first comp I will still probably bypass that idea and just work with what I have.

I think 2 10-10s would be sufficient. That is how we roll. One pop-up has a couple tables for working, coolers, tubs under tables and we do all of the 'work' under this one. We have the smoke right outside the tent on one side.

We then use the other tent to hand out and relax in. When friends and family stop by Saturday they stay in that area while we work in the other.

We have used 3 10-10s before and it was overkill, we never used a lot of that space so trimmed back to 2

I would do a comp or two and see how you like it, before running out and buying a generator. Unless you have serious power needs, another team would probably let you hook on to their power. Also, you might well get by on something like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-1200-Watt-Multifunctional-Portable-Digital-Power-Station/701017780?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227144277667&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=253376739548&wl4=pla-416365717854&wl5=9013259&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=701017780&wl13=&veh=sem

Agreed on holding off on the generator purchase. Compete a few times first - if your set up is not a pellet pooper there is no reason to "require" power. Even if you want a guru/stoker you can do that on a $100 duracell type battery pack. A $5 -$20 USB battery is enough to charge a cell phone or iPad.

We used to compete with 2-3 tents, then went to 2, then went down to 1. For a starter set up, I think 1 tent as a kitchen and one tent covered for sleeping is ample. Kitchen should not take up 2 tents. We got to the point where we kept the truck in 1 + 1 or 2 tents. Made pack up super quick having the truck onsite with us - not all contests allow that from what I understand but in the northeast we rarely run into an issue with keeping our truck next to us especially since we are an EZ up team and not a trailer team promoters recognize its easier on us.

Both of my cookers are pellet poopers so that's where the main need for the generator comes in. I am going to work with what I have for now which is 2 tents, 5x8 utility trailer, and the other necessities. I appreciate everyones help and input! It really helps us new guys out!

Pellet cookers only require max power for igniter. Then draw is relatively small.

Yoder web site has a set up with 2 class 23 batteries I think run in parallel then through an inverter.. It is a bit heavy but costs way less than generator .
Each battery is 60 or so lbs. and the Honda is about 45 lbs and costs a grand.
The battery set up is silent. Also if fully charged, Is pretty failure proof if you
tie the cords in such a way that someone cant trip and disconnect.
You can probably run some led lights off of this set up at night.
I have the 2 batteries in battery boxes screwed to floor of trailer.with a small round hatch in floor to run power cords out. Use deep cycle batteries and just recharge between events or from comp power .
Comp power is unreliable especially with pellet so battery pack or generator is more reliable. Even a power hiccup will confuse a pellet smoker

Go on Yoder Smoker web site.. Go to the forum. Search Batteries.
Yoder_herb has full explanation

Back