Gateway with Ribolator

You probably just want access to the private Moderator Jet. Unfortunately I heard the Moderator Yacht sank recently in the Gulf, so that's no longer a perk of being a moderator.

Rumors!! Rumors I tell you. The yacht is anchored off the coast of Bali filled with bikini clad coeds, a 5 star chef, 80s hair bands, a freezer full of SRF beef and a barrel of tequilla. Everyones welcome.

You just gotta find it.

You probably just want access to the private Moderator Jet. Unfortunately I heard the Moderator Yacht sank recently in the Gulf, so that's no longer a perk of being a moderator.

Don’t forget the moderator Villa in the Poconos!

Wow, sorry everyone that I even responded to the OP. Didn't expect it would escalate to this.
Don't claim to be a BBQ comp professional, just report my experiences.
Guess I'll look around for another forum.

Wow, sorry everyone that I even responded to the OP. Didn't expect it would escalate to this.

You were much nicer than I would have been. Great Job cleaning house Mods.

All was ok on your end... other guy was out of line.

Like I said... we allow members to hash out differing viewpoints. You were holding your own. no harm no foul from you... stick around....alls good.

The cameraderie and positivity of this place is one of its best features. To let the idiots stay who just want to fight and sling insults poisons the well. Seen it over and over.

It's the only forum I think worthy of paying for, and I'm on a few, some for almost 20 years.

Thanks for keeping the dust down.

I was just wondering if anyone had any different ideas to mount the ribolator on a gateway. It's a little different than a standard drum because of the intake ports going so high.

My wife and I did our first comp a few weeks ago, had never even attended one prior. Had a plan to get judge certified and judge a few comps prior to entering but this year threw those plans out. Went right into the masters so we could get feedback on the big meats and have a plan for next year. Took 22nd out of 28, so not terrible. Ribs and chicken were our worst categories. Heard the GC talking about how the ribolator won it for them so decided to look into it, whether for comps or just backyard cooking. Just don't want to cut into the gateway if someone has a better idea how to mount.

Seems someone had a bad week of work and the thread went south but I appreciate this forum because you don't see that very often. Thanks for keeping everything cordial mods!

I was just wondering if anyone had any different ideas to mount the ribolator on a gateway. It's a little different than a standard drum because of the intake ports going so high.

You could probably fabricate a ring the sits inside the top lip of the drum that the rotisserie motor mounts on, and the. Put the drum lid on that. Weber does something like that to adapt a rotisserie onto a Kettle.

You could probably fabricate a ring the sits inside the top lip of the drum that the rotisserie motor mounts on, and the. Put the drum lid on that. Weber does something like that to adapt a rotisserie onto a Kettle.

Yup, that was my first thought as well. But, based upon where the motor cut outs on the ring are located, I think the rib-o-lator trays would rotate above the ring and hit the flat lid. If you used a Weber dome lid on top of the Weber ring I think it should work. You'll probably have to find a way to seal the ring to the drum.

I have the Weber rotisserie ring, the rib-o-lator, and a Weber 22" kettle lid, I could mock it up and check for you?

But since I'm from AZ and not AR, not sure I can figure it out since I don't sh*t about BBQ.

Worse case scenario, if you choose to drill into the drum, go from front to back, not the stack to stack sides.

Last edited:
Has anyone mounted a Ribolator on a Gateway Drum? Do you need to have an extension on the drum? Looking at the extensions that you could purchase through ribolator, it seems you would need a domed lid to have clearance?

I'm not sure I can get myself to drill a bunch of holes in the Gateway to mount the rotisserie on the barrel but I don't want to have a 5 foot tall smoker either.

Thanks!

If you do not want to drill holes then I suggest that you purchase a rotisserie ring and use a Weber kettle lid on top of the ring. It's going to cost you between $200-350 depending on what equipment you have to purchase for this experiment I too would like to try the Ribolator. I have a 26 inch Hunsaker clone and recently purchased a Cajun Bandit rotisserie ring for my 26 Weber. Just haven't pulled the trigger on the Ribolator yet.

Would like to find a used Ribolator if possible. Any Brethren have one they would like to part with at a greatly reduced price?

Robert

I don't know if there is any way around drilling holes in the drum. I added a rotisserie to my drum but it was also a homemade UDS. I don't blame you for not wanting to drill into a Gateway. You might look at the Cajun Bandit rotisseries. I think adding height to your drum might be the only way you can avoid drilling holes. Good luck.

Back