THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oldyote

is Blowin Smoke!
Hello Brethren

My wife often cook for her extended family. This is especially true in the Summer and on weekends. We try to do as much of the cooking as we can outside. This is in part because we don't want to heat up the cabin but also because it is just fun.

We have a double burner stove like this one.

33698_lg.jpg

It works great for everything except the griddle. As you might expect the griddle heats up very well (too well) under the burners but then has cold spots everywhere else.

We also have a gas/charcoal grill combo which is on its last leg. I think it might be time to upgrade to a good gasser with some kind of griddle insert option. I am looking for suggestions from anyone who uses this kind of grill/griddle combo. We will cook for anywhere from 7 to 12 people so we need something that can handle a decent load (pancakes, bacon, eggs, etc.).

That is exactly what we have.

I should say that pancakes have been the issue (evil things that I could live without :mad2:). Often times for breakfast/brunch my wife wants to make up a big batch all at once. She has not been able to heat the griddle evenly so either the areas above the burners are the right temperature but the middle and edges are too cold or the middle and edges are fine but the burner area is too hot. Maybe we are just doing it wrong or should stop making pancakes :clap2:.

That may be the case right there, I have never seen pancakes on it, only meat, eggs, or panscramblers. I guess you may be lookin for a new grill. I'll get in contact with him to see if he's had any problems and if there are mods to make it work better.

I have seen nice griddles for Weber gassers. I have seen ones that take the place of a half grate for the Spirit, Genesis, Summit and Q lines. Depending on your price range and needs I think Weber really covers things well. I picked up a nice early Summit 4 burner recently on Craigslist and have done some breakfasts on a cast iron griddle. If you like projects and working with grill parts, I have seen nice deals on older Weber Genesis' on Craigslist. Otherwise a nice Genesis will set you back 700-900 bucks new.

Back