Funding your competitions

Like someone said if you want it bad enough you will find a way..We have no sponsors...Doing a chit load of contest this year..This coming weekend is our first weekend off from doing 5 in a row. And what are we doing this weekend...practice.....If you really want to do it you will find a way...We cant count on team mates because there is only us...Yeah its hard and expensive but the people that you meet are awesome and you could not meet these kind of people anywhere but at a bbq contest...I guess we need to figure out how to get SPONSORS....:p

It's an expensive hobbie..

It is just a hobbie for us, an yes, about $500 a pop for us by the time you get done. We arn't good enough for sponsers, so I cook meat for friends and some of my sisters law partners, but that don't go to far. We win every once in awhile and that just goes to fund more contests!

Cowboy Up!

Needless to say and hard to figure, but this would be a he!!uva sport if it wasn't for the travel and the gettin on em. Famous quote from famous All Around Rodeo Rider - Bobby Berger.
He was speaking about the thousands of miles travelled per year of getting to the next Rodeo, then finding out when you get there that you have drawn the baddest of the bad and will get him rode, one way, or the other. I used to Rodeo full time myself and competition BBQ is a piece of cake compared to Rough Stock Ridin.
I have a full time job selling for a service company in the Oilfield. I drive 4-500 miles per day hitting the Drilling Rigs in far Western Oklahoma and into the Texas Panhandle 5 days per week. I recieve a monthly salary plus .42 cents per mile, which helps enourmously. I have entered 2 comps this year(my first year) Enid Oklahoma and Norfolk Virginia. I placed 2nd in ribs at Enid and didn't place in Norfolk. I was 20th out of 40 at Norfolk. I used my Jumbo Barell both places and the rain eat my lunch. I haven't cooked a dry comp yet and still love the action. At Norfolk,
Chicken and ribs were the closest to being done, you could have used my butt to pound dents out of cars, it was like rubber and had to slice it. Brisket needed another hour because of the windy rain. Couldn't keep my fire going above 190. Left for Norfolk at 4:30 Thursday afternoon - arrived in Norfolk at 5:30 Friday afternoon- nonstop(1500 miles) just like the old Rodeoing Days. I used my Sponsor for Norfolk. Just cost me my time of gettin there and back home. I know now that I can't depend on those jumbo Barrel's in wet, windy weather. I ordered a Cooker from Steve Bates today because I am going to make a committment of trying to be consistent at this sport. I learned the hard way that light equipment will let you down in inclement weather. It was still the "nuts"just getting down the road again, meeting the best folks in the world, getting to compete, then going home. I don't have time with my job to travel full time. I support my family with my job and cooking is my passion. I cater onsite oifield bbqs for 40-60 hungry oilfield hands throughout the summer. I get from $800-$1000 per catering, depending on how many meats they want.
Just like when I started Rodeoing back in 1972, I left the house with my clothes bag and gear bag and my thumb in the air heading south on 283 to Mesquite Texas. I enjoy this comp cooking so much I would do the same thing to get to competions, if I have to. And someday I might have to.
See you guys down the trail!

I really would like to do more competitions, but between entry fees, food, supplies, and the price of gas, your looking upwards of $500 per competition.

So is everyone independently wealthy? Or are there some creative ways to pay for competition weekends?

You have a very valid question here, my friend! I know for me, $700 is a minimum cost these days...

Competition BBQ is quickly becoming a rich man's game. Someone can come out, buy the best equipment, buy the knowledge, buy the comfort, and have the means to fund cooking enough contests to be competitive.

I made a comment in a podcast I did, saying you have to be either rich or stupid anymore to be doing this, and being both helps!

We are starting to see some large prize funds, but many contests are throwing those dollars into the top end, giving the GC a lottery win, and most teams are going home wondering if they can afford to do the next contest.

We need to see more teams going home with prize money, and enough prize money to support this crazy, wonderful habit!

It's been fantastic seeing all the new teams out competing now.. At the last contest I did, I was right next to a team that was competing in their second contest... They looked like they were shell shocked, unsure whether they should be out there doing this anymore because of the butt kicking they took on the first contest they cooked... I introduced myself, and told them I would be happy to help them in any way I could...

They took advantage of this, and had me trying their rubs, sauce, telling me how they were cooking things, etc.. etc... I gave them some rub to use, and some advice, and helped keep them stay on task the whole contest... They pulled out a first place in a category, and finished close to half way in the field overall, they were estatic... That look I saw on their faces the day before was gone, and they were looking forward to the next contest..

I felt fantastic, I believe I saved that new team from becoming one of many that give this a try, and quit.. That was 1 team in 1 contest, I certainly can't do this for all the new teams....

The prize money needs to be distributed to more places in categories, and more places overall. I applaud the contests that are starting to do this, and more need to do this, in order for competition bbq to continue to flourish...

OK, sorry, off my soap box now... You asked a simple question and I gave you a big picture answer...

If your fortunate enough to have a lot of competitions close to you, then local sponsors could be your answer. But as someone I think mentioned, they want something in return... If they don't get it, you will not get anymore money...

If your not competing real heavy, than catering is a great way to pay for this, but of course you need to have the means to do it right, and legal....

As someone else mentioned, prize money is the real answer if your wanting to compete regularly.. It has to be self-sustaining. And right now to do this, you need to do what the others are doing to accomplish this, take classes, judge a few contests, and compete often enough to be competitive...

It's been fantastic seeing all the new teams out competing now.. At the last contest I did, I was right next to a team that was competing in their second contest... They looked like they were shell shocked, unsure whether they should be out there doing this anymore because of the butt kicking they took on the first contest they cooked... I introduced myself, and told them I would be happy to help them in any way I could...

They took advantage of this, and had me trying their rubs, sauce, telling me how they were cooking things, etc.. etc... I gave them some rub to use, and some advice, and helped keep them stay on task the whole contest... They pulled out a first place in a category, and finished close to half way in the field overall, they were estatic... That look I saw on their faces the day before was gone, and they were looking forward to the next contest..

I felt fantastic, I believe I saved that new team from becoming one of many that give this a try, and quit.. That was 1 team in 1 contest, I certainly can't do this for all the new teams....

If your not competing real heavy, than catering is a great way to pay for this, but of course you need to have the means to do it right, and legal....

I defintley plan on doing some catering to offset the cost of competition.....which is turning out to be alot more then we originlly planned for. Going thru the health dep now and getting all the proper permits and such.

homebbq......sure hope I'm lucky enough to be near somone like you our first time out (July).

Theresa.

Yep this hobbie can get a hold of your wallet. Our comps are paid entirely by the 2 Brothers, and the Sons part of our team just like the party and "walk" part of it. I love it, but the cost is high for a poor boy like me.

I defintley plan on doing some catering to offset the cost of competition.....which is turning out to be alot more then we originlly planned for. Going thru the health dep now and getting all the proper permits and such.

homebbq......sure hope I'm lucky enough to be near somone like you our first time out (July).

Theresa.

Hi Theresa, I hope you do as well... Don't be afraid to ask questions of the veteran teams, most will be more than happy to help you out... Good Luck in your first contest!

If you have team members everyone should split the cost and then split the prize money (hopefully). Get you 3 more guys and then everyone is just spending about 125 bucks.

I have little problems finding new members. Paying members are the problem. My brother and I figure it doesnt matter about that splitting up the money part its the splitting the trophy part that has us confused.

After last year (my first year in real competition) I have come to view this as my hobby. I enjoy it sooo much that the expense and sacrifice is worth it. That said, I am looking to do some vending at a few local festivals this year to off set my costs. I also sell some sauce to coworkers and friends - they can't seem to get enough of it so it is truly a win / win.

cost vs what?

Out of respect of what I have read on this thread please consider this my opinion based on my limited experience in competition Q.

I would hope most of us don’t consider competition Q a business or a money making adventure. Some people pay big money to gamble, fishing, build show cars, race cars, etc. etc. name a hobby they all cost money and lots just pick your poison.

If you go into competition Qing expecting your winnings to off set your expenses you will be sadly and sorely disappointed. I have been fortunate to win a few contests in the past two years close to home and I have an accounting of my expenses from the beginning of this insane habit including all my large purchases, trailers, cookers, etc. and also my meager winnings. I have won more than most and no way am I even close to covering my expenses. When I decided go into this competition Qing thing so blindly I never expected that something as fun a competition Q would pay and I was right it don’t! I do have the bug now like most of you all so I will continue to manage my money poorly and continue to do what I love and hang out with you guys doing it.

ASK ME, What do I get for my money?
I get to meet new people and develop friendships that last a lifetime and most important I get a respectable past time I can include with my family and friends. Not all hobbies have that RAP!

Attachments

• Kansas city 031.jpg
    Kansas city 031.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
My uncle is a hot air balloon pilot. His modest ballooning rig cost him around $100k. There's travel to rallies, fuel for the balloon, annual inspections 500 miles away, pilots license, insurance, etc. He's not a rich man by any means. He's a hired hand at a horse ranch and she's a credit union manager. He always says, "Hobbies cost money. Some people fish. Some Hunt. Some go boating. Some RVing. It all costs money."

Personally, I think hobbies are a great thing. All work and no play...

Now balloonists have it pretty good, however. At rallies, they get their LP, hotel, meals, and mileage paid for. The events understand that the balloons bring the crowd. The Great American BBQ contest has a balloon rally and balloon glow for this reason. However, the GAB doesn't give their balloonists anything. I was hoping that he'd bring his balloon to the contest this year.

Well said Jimmy. We enter for the fun of it and anything good that happens is a bonus. My problem is I have too many hobbies. I am playing the best golf of my life and eating the best Q of my life. Life is good!

Sponsors

These good people on the back of my trailer help me.
These are mostly local BBQ enthusiasts.

When I find an event close to home I invite one of my sponsors to visit me at the contest on Friday afternoon for some rib tips and chicken wings. I then ask them to return after 2:00 PM on Saturday to help with the consumption of the left overs that don’t make it in the turn-in box. I also make regular trips to these fine folks homes on Sunday after a contest to divide up the left overs from the contest. When they ask me what they owe me I just say check out my web site and a donation via Pay-Pal would help support my habit. I always get a chuckle and usually I find a fine donation via Pay-Pal a day later.

These are some ideas that might help some of you keep on Qin

I take donations via Pay-Pal if anyone is interested brodman@strato.net

Attachments

• sponsors.JPG
    sponsors.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 83
I'm not competing just yet, but I've been collecting as much stuff as I can on the cheap, either by building the drums myself, trolling craigslist for the trailer, Webers, canopy, knives etc. Just starting out I think I've done a fairly decent job, but awhile back I asked about how much you all spent on average doing a local comp, and I got a lot of responses that really opened my eyes to the sport/hobby side of BBQ. So I took a couple cooking classes, KCBS Judging class, and lent a hand to the Reps at a recent comp, hung out and met a few cooks, Judged and tried to gain as much info as I can to help me keep it in perspective. The last few years my hobbies seem to have been supporting my kids sports activities, whether coaching or cheering and the more competitve they get the more it costs-just like BBQ'n from what I'm learning! So I work a lot of overtime. Gotta do what you gotta do!

Brian

This is my first year of starting off trying to really make money. I actually broke down and pulled some money out of my retirement accounts to fund my addiction. What I've done so far to help fuel the funds are

1: Catered a couple small gigs for friends/local places to get the word out. It's worked. I'm now booked for all OSU games this year at 3 different bars. It's almost 300/lbs of meat a week for 3 months.
2: Started the paperwork to become legal caterer in my area. Not fun and not cheap but it lets me do festivals in the area as well. Some of the festivals will let you get a temporary permit for the duration but beware - they will shut you down if you don't comply. Nothing to be afraid of just to be aware of.
3: Created some marketing material for distribution to companies/restaurants etc.
4: Signed up with some local organizations to do fundraisers where the profits go to the charity. It's a great way to get your name out.

I am a project manager by heart so I come at things with a plan. I really want to go to shows and compete but most of them are either in NY somewhere or further West. So travel and all that is included is a must.

I love cooking. I love smoking meat and the alchemy of running a pitt. For me this is the starting point to get me to the point of owning my joint and not working for the man.

Back