Frustrations trying to buy brisket lately

Fat Freddy

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Fred
Probably a little bit of complaining here too but after today it is more me shaking my head. Not throwing anyone under the bus just giving the info as i have it. This is regarding brisket in general but started because i was trying to get briskets for my upcoming comps.

Started last weekend when I drove an hour and a half to Sams to get a brisket and they werent allowed to pull out another case for me to go through until the 2 sorry briskets sold. There is not anywhere within an hour and a half drive to get briskets of any grade except Walmart and it is so hit and miss there.

Ok so i got an email last week that Snake River Farms is going to a flat rate shipping $9.99 and costs are going to increase 5-12%. Seems simple enough and with shipping going down might actually make wagyu's a possibility for me. However here is what I found out $9.99 flat rate shipping doesnt necessarily mean 9.99 and 5-12% could mean 30+% increase in price. Confused? i know I was. here is how it was explained to me lets say I bought a brisket for $100 and shipping was $50 then total was $150 they SRF are raising that cost 5-12% so the total would be $157.50-$168. This is not an exact amount just how it was explained. My argument was if shipping is $9.99 and the $100 brisket went up by 12% then the cost would be $122. Was told no that is not correct because I gotta figure in shipping. I said I am $10. was told no the cost is the same they are just putting it into the cost of the brisket. So I asked so wouldnt that raise it more than 5-12% was told yes the cost increase is 5-12% off what was being ordered before briskets will be going up quite a bit more.:wacko::twitch: I figured I am so confused now i am going to go ahead and hang up.

At this point I figure maybe I am just confused on something simple and it has to be me. So i figure i will just chill and call the Sams that i went to last weekend to find out the case price for primes. After having to call back because no one picked up I got a guy in the meat dept. Who for the record told me he has worked in the meat dept for 4 years. I asked about prime. he told me brisket is not prime it is just plain brisket. I told him no it is one of the grades. He told me that the only grade is USDA thats also when he told me the 4 year comment. I tried to correct him and tell him about grades and stuff and made the mistake of explaining from different cows. He told me it doesnt matter what cow they are from they are only USDA or not and we(Sams) doesnt carry anything not USDA. So then i asked is the briskets at least CAB. he told me never has heard of Angus before. I gave up and just hung up.

I know I am difficult and make mistakes and dont usually know what I am talking about. But I think today I would much rather smash my head into the wall a few dozen times than even think about buying a brisket.

I think one of the Texan brethren needs to start a brisket business. They are buying primes at $3 a pound, a little markup and add in shipping and that is well under creekstone and SNF. Any takers?

I haven't seen any Prime for $3/lb, but every now and then Select will come up for $2/lb. I'm sure cattle are raised in Iowa, is farm to table a big thing there? I'd try to find 2 or 3 cattle ranchers and figure out how to buy direct.

See the problem is your living in Iowa, They know pigs in Iowa and Pigs aint graded. I find that when you run into issues at Walfarts / Sams it is best to be armed with the 800 number or he world headquarters in Bentonvile Arkansas, just the mention of using it makes most managers pee in their boots and they come around to your way of seeing things.

I gave up on brisket for awhile when I saw that it was 52 dollars at my local Sam's. I'll wait.

See the problem is your living in Iowa, They know pigs in Iowa and Pigs aint graded. I find that when you run into issues at Walfarts / Sams it is best to be armed with the 800 number or he world headquarters in Bentonvile Arkansas, just the mention of using it makes most managers pee in their boots and they come around to your way of seeing things.

Definitely. Call corporate, and they'll handle the issue almost immediately.
It's never made sense to me the amount of backlash some of the employees in these places try to give to customers. It's some sort of petty victory for them.

Last summer I was buying my comp briskets from a local butcher 2 at a time for $2.49 a pound. He advised that beef prices were going to take a big jump. Next time I went to get briskets, he handed me 2 very nice choice briskets and when I went to check out, the young lady told me my total was $150 something. I just about craped myself. I took the best looking one and gave the other back.($5.49 per pound).
Since then I've been getting SRF, 2 at a time. By getting them 2 at a time, they are $10 cheaper each and only $10 more for shipping than getting 1 at a time.Also they have moved their distrbution center to the mid west, so now the briskies arrive froze solid with dry ice instead of gel packs and thawed out.

Honestly, I've noticed from toilet paper to Suburbans if you go shopping you need to be fully loaded with a boat load of patience. My wife and I love to go to Two large home improvement big box stores where an army of employees swarm you and ask "can I help you" and when you say "yes, I need this or that widget", they look terrified and say, "well I don't work in this department". Except the paint section, then they immediately tell you they are out of stock.

I am liking that "call Bentonville" suggestion though.

Nothing beats a local butcher. You don't have one within 1.5 hours?

Nope closest one is 45 min away and they do not sell briskets at all. Then the one at 58 miles away sells brisket for $5 a pound and i refuse to pay that. Des Moines Sams is good and that is where I typically buy my briskets but really didnt want to drive 2 1/2 hours to get there. Omaha is same distance away but the Council Bluffs Sams sounds as useless as the Sioux City one from my wifes call this morning. I will just go to Des Moines next weekend.

$7.99/lb down here for choice briskets from winn dixie in biloxi, ms. i haven't had any problems cooking brisket lately. i haven't been cooking brisket.

Cooking shoulder clod or chuck could be a good alternative for getting yer beef on.

You may want to look into the availability of Creekstone Farms briskets in your area.
Creekstone sells high end briskets. If you are buying from Snake River Farms, then you know there is a world of difference between the SRF and those two crappy Sam's was trying to force on you. The now famous Franklin BBQ in Austin uses Creekstone.
Check with the grocery wholesalers in your area for availability.

I don't feel your pain as I have 5 stores within 15 minutes of me who stock Briskets year round. :mrgreen:

That's just mean.:tsk: I have 6 and they are building 2 more that are about 5 minutes from me.:clap2: it's nice to live in Texas.

My wife and I love to go to Two large home improvement big box stores where an army of employees swarm you and ask "can I help you"

Hang on...I'm trying to understand this concept. Everyone at those stores here turn the other way and ignore you when they see you. :confused:

I would have had my wife take the 2 briskets from Sams stick them in a shopping cart and walk away

after they bring out the new case and you pick what you want then have the wife bring the 2 back and put them back

I would have had my wife take the 2 briskets from Sams stick them in a shopping cart and walk away

after they bring out the new case and you pick what you want then have the wife bring the 2 back and put them back

Ding,ding,ding, we have a winner...
Ed

Back