Friend wants to do a comp

qnbiker

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Lew
Let me begin by saying that I am very confident in my BBQ skills. If we have guests, I know they will love my Q. Cook for a party of 60? No problem. Enter a local competition? Not a chance!

I've been to a couple of comps (been to, not competing) and it was quite intimidating. There was no way I belonged among these guys. I read about guys who decided to compete and loved it. I would be so nervous I would probably burn down the tent!

I taught a friend how to Q and he has gotten quite good, and he suggested we enter a local competition. Like I said, not a chance! I'm king of my little BBQ realm, and I don't want to burst my bubble.

We’ve been talking about it too. Our friends who come eat my bbq and tell me it’s the best they’ve had want to help.

I’ve explained it’s not like cooking at home, practice rounds, all 4 meats, turn in boxes, timing, sleeping out overnight....

They say they still want to do it.

I considered it just for fun. I knew I wouldn’t do well but I didn’t care. I visited a comp not too long ago. Completely changed my mind about wanting to compete. Way too serious and only 1 team looked like they were having fun. It was a father and two sons cooking together on their drum and I believe a bandera vertical offset. I remember thinking to myself that is what bbq is supposed to be like. Hanging out friends and family, enjoying the smell of the smoke, and just having fun. The process being the real gift and the food not really mattering so much. Bonus if the Q is good. Just my opinion by the way. But that day turned me off from competing.

Do it for fun!

I did a local Rib-only charity cook in August with my dad. We had a blast! We got a call and took 7th out of 22. All of our score cards were 8's and 9's (with one triple 9).

You get to meet some great local people and even try other competitor's ribs. The guy next to me placed 9th with a Yoder YS640...his ribs were great!

If you're not interested, you're not interested and that's OK. If you're friend really wants to do it and guys are buddies offer to help him out. Let him run point and help out where he needs you. If you go that route I would encourage you to seek out a small local non-sanctioned event, that will cut down on most of the cost and stress of a full on KCBS event. If you dont want to jump in at that level either than find a team with someone that you know and stop in to at least experience what happens and see if you're more or less interested after that. You literally have nothing to lose.
We don't do many comps anymore but when we do I sincerely enjoy the cooking and the company of fellow bbq nerds. I do get a jolt out of the competitive side of it as well but bbq and friends is what its all about. Get out there meet some new people that share your love of bbq. Dont get too caught up on the results good or bad.

I see where you are coming from. It would be stressful. If you cant have fun getting started, then it probably isnt for you. Plus, if you cant handle people saying you're not one of the best, it might be bad too...

If you're not interested, you're not interested and that's OK. If you're friend really wants to do it and guys are buddies offer to help him out. Let him run point and help out where he needs you. If you go that route I would encourage you to seek out a small local non-sanctioned event, that will cut down on most of the cost and stress of a full on KCBS event. If you dont want to jump in at that level either than find a team with someone that you know and stop in to at least experience what happens and see if you're more or less interested after that. You literally have nothing to lose.
We don't do many comps anymore but when we do I sincerely enjoy the cooking and the company of fellow bbq nerds. I do get a jolt out of the competitive side of it as well but bbq and friends is what its all about. Get out there meet some new people that share your love of bbq. Dont get too caught up on the results good or bad.
He definitely would want me to run point. Plus, it was one of those 2 bottles of wine fueled discussions. I don't think he was serious, it just got me thinking.

I love the comp scene and am very glad I decided to take the plunge last year. I don't get the feeling of "not having fun" at all. All of the teams I have been put next to have been more than inviting and talkative. First comp I was in I got a call in ribs...I was actually very surprised at the round of applause I received being the new guy that nobody knew. It's definitely not for everyone, but it can be a whole lot of fun if you want it to be!

Not me. I will be happy to be a judge though.

My Favorite Redhead is terrified that I will want to start competing when we retire next year. I want my cooking to be a pleasure,not a grind.

Not me. I will be happy to be a judge though.

My Favorite Redhead is terrified that I will want to start competing when we retire next year. I want my cooking to be a pleasure,not a grind.

I’ve been doing KCBS competitions for 13 or 14 years (3 or 4 years with Brothers Parrothead and MrB1984 and 10 years with my wife) and it is never a grind. I enjoy cooking and enjoy the competition experience, especially our BBQ Family! Yes, there are times when I am not happy with the results, but I get over it pretty quickly. If it ever stops being fun, we’ll find another hobby!

I’ve been doing KCBS competitions for 13 or 14 years (3 or 4 years with Brothers Parrothead and MrB1984 and 10 years with my wife) and it is never a grind. I enjoy cooking and enjoy the competition experience, especially our BBQ Family! Yes, there are times when I am not happy with the results, but I get over it pretty quickly. If it ever stops being fun, we’ll find another hobby!

Want a judge that'll kinda.. y'know...help ya out? :becky:

I'm afraid that if i start I'll go to far. I have a bad habit of taking things way too far or too serious. I'm good cooking at the house and for the bashes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back