Friday night turkey legs

twatsonr1

Full Fledged Farker
After going to out state fair and seeing some turkey legs, I had to give it a try. I cut the bottom and pulled what I think is the tendons out. And then rolled the skin back and seasoned the meat. Smoked at 275 for 2 hours, probed at 190, after spraying butter on them1 hour in. They smell amazing, but the skin kind of has a greyish skin. But I'll let you all know how they taste later.

Attachments

• IMG_1931.jpg
    IMG_1931.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1932.jpg
    IMG_1932.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 157
Not much on cooking turkey at all so very scratchy on this beast - are the legs / Marylands a much heavier and stronger taste than the breasts ???

How did your skins turn out? I did not like the texture or taste of mine the first time and they kept the smoke off the meat. Every time since I have removed it. That said, I usually cube the stuff up to use in pasta.

Oh my goodness they were horrible!! Note to everyone, 190 is too high on turkey. The skin... had a weird off taste, and it wasn't crispy, even though it popped when probing. I'm guessing that very little to no smoke is what's needed for turkey.

But I do have to say, cutting the bottom and pulling the tendons out was a great idea!! The meat was actually edible as far as texture. They may have been ugly due to the cut, but it's for the back yard, so who cares.

Most people prefer turkey legs brined. I've had a lot of success just pulling the skin back, rubbing them, pulling the skin up and dusting it with more rub. I then cook indirect at 400 deg until they hit 185 deg.

I probably should have brined them, I was just trying to keep it simple. They were cooked indirectly at 275 though.

I like to take turkey leg quarters and debone them, then apply my rub to meat side and roll and tie into a nice log then apply more rub to the outside. When they are done they slice beautifully. For legs if you make the cut like you did all the way to the bone once they are done the tendons are easier to remove. Some time I just cut the end of the bone off when the legs are done the meat pulls up and the tendons are exposed and pull out with no effort.

I REALLY APPRECIATE this thread cause I have often wondered how to make those T legs great......

Back