Friday Night Judges Etiquette

Yep - most teams want to find out just what the judges are looking for in the turn-in box. And once you get to know a few of the cooks it brings a whole new outlook to the awards show :clap2:.QUOTE]

Honestly, unless they bring it up, I try not to talk about judging and boxes with CBJ's that stop by...that way they don't feel uncomfortable. The few that come by are already walking on eggshells thinking they are gonna get in trouble for hanging out with us teams...Hopefully we can break down that wall:thumb:

That "eggshell" thing is something that we have to change! I have personally introduced over a half dozen CBJs to cooks so that the judges could cook with a team. Imagine - they've judged close to or just over 30 contests and have yet to meet one cook :cry: :mad:.

I'm starting to invite judges to "come out & play" on the Friday evenings that I'll be at a comp. Most of those will be just a simple meet & greet, maybe some finger food & then wander around & talk to some of the teams. Seeing as I'll probably know at least 10% to 30% of the teams at most of the comps that I judge we won't be walking in blind :grin: when we talk to the cooks.

I'm going to spend the next three years doing my very best to get the cooks and the judges to know, understand and respect each other.

Friday is the best time before and after the cooks meeting. Sat. after the awards most are trying to pack up and go home.

So I propose this to the Brethren...feel free to refine this to a working model or throw it out all together

What if we come up with some kind of "Mixer" template that organizers can use.

An informal, volunteer, progressive mixer for judges held on Friday night at contests, held by teams that want to participate.

You have a check box on an application to the contest.

Checking yes means you want to participate in the mixer.

Judges are sent an email, or given a list of the teams that are participating

Judges then visit with the teams on the list and have fun.

We as participating teams welcome our new judge friends, and we break down barriers contest by contest...

You could even make it more fun by creating a "barbecue passport" that has a finger food recipe from each team. Each team could serve that finger food and sign the passport on their page. The judge then gives the completed passport to the organizer and receives a prize. (this is just an example, but an interactive game will make uncomfortable people more talkative)

Some really great thoughts above.

My observation and thoughts.
These are not bashing--just a small thing I see.

Most of the judges are not as fully involved in the comp as many of the teams are.
I normally see (talk with) only 5-8 judges at any time during the event.
Those 5-8 stop by and visit on Fri night and many times check in after judging on Sat to wish the team well.
And, this is the same folks--not random individuals.
I have judged with each of these folks and they seemed really focused on rendering a proper score.

There are only 2 or 3 judges that I see hang around for awards.

At the FBA "Fun Cook" each Sep, the vast number of folks are cooks with only a few judges in attendance.

Put all that together, and it paints a picture of a divide.
Two groups of individuals who do not interrelate with each other.

Now, there are some great ideas above to integrate the judges with the teams and the contest overall.

I really, really, like the idea of making sure the judges are encouraged to come out on Fri night and share the "pot lucks" with the teams.

I also encourage any judge I meet to come cook with, or just hangout with, us whenever they want and are not judging.

Would it effect scoring---no. Or at least it shouldn't.
But it would at least make the whole weekend a lot more enjoyable.

Just my nickle.

TIM

Man, this topic brings back memories of the last BBQ on the River. Vinny (Millitant Squatter) helped us out at that contest. Willie B was judging and visited us on Friday Night with two cases of beer. When I awoke at 6 AM my brother was getting nervous because he thought we would be disqualified because Willie had passed out on a chair in our site and spent the night with us.

And just to put it out there and clarify...ANY Judge is welcome in our booth anytime the rules allow, just like ANY Brethren is welcome in the Too Sauced To Pork BBQ Booth.

Maybe thats what we need to start...a judge-friendly team thread or sticky. That way there is no excuse for a divide but peoples own opinions and actions.

Just like Rookie48 said...you gotta start somewhere, so this is our "Come out and Play" pledge

we woulfd always enjoy judges comming by on friday eve,weve had 6 or 8 do the weekend with us working on there masters........they see every aspect of the cook,cleanup,and turn in dennis:wink: mayby we need some new signs JUDGE FREINDLY:thumb:

Back