Friday Night Filet Pron, Part II - Or what happened to that other piece of meat?

SmokinJohn

Babbling Farker
From this thread:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180162

So I picked up some chicken thighs from my local Stater Brothers:

WP_20140125_001.jpg

In a nod to TonyBel, I decided to make some yakitori chicken.

Hold your horses, I'm getting to the filet......

I changed the recipe from rice wine to rice wine vinegar and from soy sauce to ponzu.

I did this because if I recall correctly, marinades need an acid component to "pierce" the meat.

WP_20140125_004.jpg

Diced up the thigh meat, and into the marinade they went for about 4 hours....

WP_20140125_002.jpg

WP_20140125_005.jpg

The feftover thigh meat gets a coating of Kickin' Chicken

thighparts.JPG

No snaps of this, but it was good

So Mrs. SJ comes into the kitchen, takes a whiff, and wants a smoked chicken, so back I go to Stater Brothers.....

So I fire up the UDS, and while I'm waiting for it to come to temp, I gave the leftover filet mignon piece another coat of rub....

filetrubbed.JPG

And wrapped it in bacon!

filetwrapped.JPG

A smoked filet mignon? Uh, yup!

Back to the kabobs...

I used "Old Leaky" for this....

hotcoals.JPG

Shishkabobs on!

shishon.JPG

Turning turning turning....

shishoff.JPG

This shot is blurry, but I assure you they are done!

shishdone.JPG

You two play nice now! Daddy will be back!

cowchicken.JPG

Some time later......

The filet:

photo.JPG

Different taste than preparing it the traditional way, but it was a try...

The chicken (someone couldn't wait for me to snap the pic...

photo2.JPG

I gotta say it looks like that filet was in the smoker for about an hour too long for my tastes. Good thing there was other food :icon_shy

I gotta say it looks like that filet was in the smoker for about an hour too long for my tastes. Good thing there was other food :icon_shy

The center was more rare than the ends but it wasn't as dry as I thought it should have been. It was a first outing. If the family hasn't eaten it up by Monday, I'll try it again with bout 30 minutes less time.

How funny - I'm doing tonybel's yakitori chicken today. :laugh: I think that post got a lot of folks salivating. Did you like the results with the mods?

Nice cooking there John!

How funny - I'm doing tonybel's yakitori chicken today. :laugh: I think that post got a lot of folks salivating. Did you like the results with the mods?

Nice cooking there John!

It had a little too much acid/vinegar for my taste, but it was good.

I might try backing off on the rice wine vinegar or switching the sugar from white to brown.

Back