THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

packerfannate

Knows what a fatty is.
i have a friend that just cut down a cherry tree and he offered to give me some for my smoker.

Is there any reason why I should not use fresh cut fruit wood in my smoker (UDS)?

Is there anything I need to do to it before using it?

Do I need to let it dry out before using it? If so, how long?

I'm getting some fresh cut apple tree branches in a few days.
I have the same question; how long before I should use chunks of them in my WSM?

JP

I have used fresh cut apple wood chunks for grilling and hot and fast BBQ without problem. If the cherry is black cherry(AKA wild cherry), I would season it first, 3 months for chunks and one year for splits. If it is a sweet or tart cherry tree I would fire up the grill put on a burger or some brats and toss an unseasoned chunk on the coals to see how it goes, nothing like a little experiment:thumb:

Free wood is always a plus, just stick it in the backyard with a few inches of breathing space (free slats from Lowes or HD work fine) for a good long time. 6mths plus in the sun 1yr plus in the shade.

BTW: I am jealous.

Back