fresh cut fruit wood

packerfannate

Knows what a fatty is.
i have a friend that just cut down a cherry tree and he offered to give me some for my smoker.

Is there any reason why I should not use fresh cut fruit wood in my smoker (UDS)?

Is there anything I need to do to it before using it?

Do I need to let it dry out before using it? If so, how long?

I'm no expert, but wood should always be dried out before using it. How long? I always wait at least 1 year.

I'm getting some fresh cut apple tree branches in a few days.
I have the same question; how long before I should use chunks of them in my WSM?

JP

I'd wait at least 3 months and then see if there is any sap showing. If you can hold off 6 month even better. I try to have a revolving inventory getting dryer and better all the time.

I have used fresh cut apple wood chunks for grilling and hot and fast BBQ without problem. If the cherry is black cherry(AKA wild cherry), I would season it first, 3 months for chunks and one year for splits. If it is a sweet or tart cherry tree I would fire up the grill put on a burger or some brats and toss an unseasoned chunk on the coals to see how it goes, nothing like a little experiment:thumb:

Free wood is always a plus, just stick it in the backyard with a few inches of breathing space (free slats from Lowes or HD work fine) for a good long time. 6mths plus in the sun 1yr plus in the shade.

BTW: I am jealous.

Back