Free Sully!

I believe several board members probably agree but since a formal complaint was made and accepted by the reps, the board has to address it. The problem is, the reps SHOULD have told the complainer that if they don't like it, they should go to the organizer and discuss it there because Sully wasn't violating any KCBS rules. The reps screwed up. Let's not blame the board for this... yet - unless they don't FREE SULLY!!!

Sully is a fixture in the Northeast. His "Baaaahbequuuue" call is often heard at contests in the region, not just at awards but throughout the contest. It's a call to celebrate the sport of barbecue and everything we love about it. It's fun, and it's harmless.

The real question is, should KCBS be regulating what we say and do at contests? How does one draw the line? Can he "say" the word barbecue? How much is too much? How loud is too loud? To regulate this is a slippery slope. If it's not vulgar and not during quiet hours, is this really something the KCBS board should be taking on? Is it even appropriate for a 501(c)3 corporation to wade into determining what acceptable free speech is at a contest?

I for one would be unhappy if Sully is quieted by the board. Sully gives back to the community. He is an officer of NEBS, and his "damn dip" is a fixture at contests in the northeast. He prepares food for ALL the teams, at every event, using his own money. He embodies the spirit of community that we associate with barbecue. Is this the person we want to censor? It will be a sad day for KCBS if that is the case.

Well stated. I know for a fact that he was a primary cook when I took the CBJ course here in MA. He is the man. My kids (3 girls) love when he yells out during comps. It is part of the experience. It is part of what drew me from a CBJ to comp quite frankly. It was awesome to hear all of the camaraderie. It's all understood, and in good fun. You really wanna remove the fun??

My kids are currently practicing the Sully yell.

This is just insane. Trust me, you will be hearing plenty of Sully yells in these parts in the near future!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ
As the Chairman of the Hudson Valley RibFest I can only state that "celebratory verbalization” will always be welcome at our event. It is part of the sport we all like to engage in, spend our precious time and money. Just think about being at a major league sports event and not be able to verbally celebrate your team… If someone is offended by someone else having a good time while actually engaging in the same activity, something is wrong. Maybe they should go back to collecting stamps and sit in a quiet room (I know I’m going to get dinged for this comment, NO OFFENSE -I collect stamps too-).
Life is too short to worry about the little things…

BBBBAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHBEQUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!:cheer2::whoo::dancer:

Comps are not the same when Sully's not there.
Free Sully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-B-QUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUE!!!!!

I've never met Sully in person, but he is a legend in the BBQ community!!! The 1st time I saw that BAAAARRRRR B QUEEEEEE call on youtube I was on the floor laughing!!!! LOL Dude sounds like a lot of fun and I hope to meet him in person one day.....FREE SULLY!!!! BARRRRRRRRR-B-QUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

It has gotten to the point when we go to an event and you realize Sully is not there it is just not the same, WE MISS HIM! It is just so unique & classic, Don't Stop Him!
Red Planet BBQ

When Sully does this at events, for me it just adds to the atmosphere of the event. I equate it to waking up at 5am and going for a walk and smelling all of the smokers going and saying to myself "This is Great"

I just don't understand. I fear there is a hidden adgenda in this somehow. The whole thing stinks of someone simply flexing their muscles and Sully getting stuck in the middle of it. Sully has been doing this for years without reprecussion. Why, all of a sudden is this an issue?

So this is the first I have heard of this...what actually happened? We were next to Sully last year at Harpoon and hope he is there this year.....Great Guy

As the Chairman of the Hudson Valley RibFest I can only state that "celebratory verbalization” will always be welcome at our event. It is part of the sport we all like to engage in, spend our precious time and money. Just think about being at a major league sports event and not be able to verbally celebrate your team… If someone is offended by someone else having a good time while actually engaging in the same activity, something is wrong. Maybe they should go back to collecting stamps and sit in a quiet room (I know I’m going to get dinged for this comment, NO OFFENSE -I collect stamps too-).
Life is too short to worry about the little things…

BBBBAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHBEQUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!:cheer2::whoo::dancer:

I'm offended. I call for philatelists everywhere to boycott BBQ competitions!

PPPPHHHHIIIIIIIIIILLLLAAAAAATTTTEEELLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

:becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky:

Oh yeah...

Free Sully!

I've seen this "Free Sully" stuff on several sites, but it's not clear to me what happened -- was he kicked out of contest, told to pipe down or what?

Anyone know the outcme of the BOD meeting last night?? I know another issue that I had a BIG issue with was dismissed. The outcome of these issues would have been the deciding factor for me continuing to be a KCBS member.

I draw the line when a few teams can gang-up on another team and try to get them voted out of KCBS.

Kim, I got a text late last night on that issue too. Thank God is all I can say! That was a huge railroad job and some people have lost my respect over it. Looking forward to hearing the same news on Sully!

Anyone know the outcme of the BOD meeting last night?? I know another issue that I had a BIG issue with was dismissed. The outcome of these issues would have been the deciding factor for me continuing to be a KCBS member.

I draw the line when a few teams can gang-up on another team and try to get them voted out of KCBS.

What was the other big issue?

What was the other big issue?

Chris, I think the "other" issue is best left right where it is... dead and buried. It was not made public by the person involved. Suffice it to say apparently someone didn't like another person at a local contest and a stack of lies progressed from there. The truth came out and it's over. I probably should have texted Kim that reply. :-D

"Celebratory verbilization" eh?
I look forward to being at contests where Sully is in attendance.
He is a cherished, local legend 'round these parts and a really, really nice guy to boot.
Without a doubt,
FREE SULLY!!!!!

Back