THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TravelingJ

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Justin
I'm in need of some ideas! For years I've been requested to bring pulled pork and mac and cheese, while the host does a slew of ribs. This year, they are for some reason adding both of those to the list of what they are providing.

My first reaction was "fine, I'm bringing ice" but then the competitive side kicked in. I have burnt ends on the list, since those always go fast. Any other suggestions on what you take to a party, when you intend to impress?

Could always Thunderdome it and bring pulled pork and mac and cheese anyway - two slabs enter, one slab leaves!

Some sort of jalapeno popper is always a hit, maybe shredded beef instead of the typical little smokies or something. Pork belly "burn ends" are usually a hit too. I stick toothpicks in them and serve them as finger food appetizers.

One of my go to side recipes is a loaded potato salad. Potatoes, bacon, celery, hard boiled eggs, scallions mixed wiith mayo, splash of vinegar, salt pepper, smoked paprika. If you're interested, PM me and Ill write up a detailed recipe.

If the host is cooking the main meats, I'd probably opt for appetizers and get my contribution out in front of the meal. Pig shots, or pig candy wrapped wieners are both good options and will reheat fine in an oven. Neither is too spicy and both are amazingly good.

6EvsBxH.jpg

EABnTkq.jpg

So many great ideas! Thanks everyone. Sadly, I don't have brisket mastered yet. It's good, but I'm definitely not practicing at these prices.

I love the appetizer idea. Their food is always delayed, so something ready to snack on immediately is a good call.

The throwdown part was funny. The host is my girlfriends sister, so I messaged their other sister and "what's going on? I thought those were my dishes?" "I know! You should still bring yours!"

Part of me really wants to show up with the Cambro filled to the gills, but I also don't have the time to make 8 different dishes.. I'm leaning towards a better main, an app, and maybe a dessert (that butter milk pie did look spectacular)

The following recipes have wowed many different crowds throughout the years

Vidalia Onion Pie

This recipe makes two pies

2- Pounds of thinly sliced Vidalia Onions
1- Cup Sour Cream
3- Eggs
1- Cup Pepper Jack Cheese
1- Cup sharp Cheddar Cheese
6- Teaspoons butter (I use bacon grease)
I pound of bacon fried and crumbled
2- Splashes of favorite hot sauce
1/2 Teaspoon of salt
1- Teaspoon white pepper
2- 9 inch frozen pie shell

Saute the Onions in the butter (bacon grease) until clear. Let stand and cool some.
Grate the cheeze.Beat the eggs, add the pepper jack, salt,pepper, sour cream and bacon to the eggs and mix well. Pour into a(divided evenly between the two pie shells) 9 inch frozen pie shell, add the cheddar cheeze on top and bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes and let cool and serve.

Firecracker recipe----

1lb crackers (normally use saltines)
1 1\3 cup canola oil
1 pk dry ranch dressing
3 tbs red pepper flakes (normally 1 is enough)

Mix the liquid mixture really well. I use an immersion blender

Put crackers in large plastic container or gallon ziploc bag and pour mixture over crackers
tumble often for about 15 minutes until oil is no longer running down the sides of the container and is fully absorbed into the crackers
Cracker variations: saltines, Ritz, oyster crackers, Cheeze-its or the cheese flavored goldfish crackers.

Variation: Good
[FONT=&quot]Tried using 1 1/3 cup bacon grease. Also added 1 tsp each of granulated garlic, granulated onion and black pepper and ½ Tbsp of Tajin seasoning. Was OK. Next time I would bake in 250 degree oven for 15-20 minutes (maybe more)after the crackers have sat for 12-14 hours.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

For the fire crackers above: take cream cheese bricks and cut in half lengthwise. Cover the cream cheese on all sides with your favorite BBQ rubs. Try two rubs. With another block of cream cheese cut in half lengthwise, pour Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce over one half and use a pepper jelly or a rib glaze such as Kosmo's or Texas Pepper Jelly or any other similar brand on the other half.

Chess Cake

1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix

2 eggs

½ cup butter, melted

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened

½ cup butter, melted

2 eggs

4 cups confectioners' sugar

Directions

Step 1
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9 x 13 inch pan.
Step 2 In a large bowl, mix together cake mix, 2 eggs, and 1/2 cup melted butter. Put into prepared pan.
Step 3 In another bowl, Beat cream cheese until smooth. Blend in 1/2 cup melted butter and 2 eggs. Gradually beat in the confectioner's sugar. Pour over the crust mixture already in the pan.
Step 4 Bake for 1 hour. Cool and cut into serving size pieces

[FONT=&quot]None of the above are truly complicated recipes, but very good in flavors. We always have people requesting us to please share the recipes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Robert
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Apps sound good in this case. MOINKs and ABTs are very popular and delicious. I also like the idea of loaded beans (e.g., WAMPUS or Keri's).

No matter what, be sure to have fun!

Bruce

These are great appetizer:

BACON and ROTEL CUPS

Ingredients:

3 pkgs. Mini fillo shells (in the frozen aisle)
1 can Rotel diced tomatoes & jalapenos , drained almost all the way
1 cup crumbled real bacon pieces (4.3 oz pkg Hormel crumbled bacon)
1½ cups shredded colby & monterey jack cheese
1 cup mayonnaise

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven/cooker to 350*
2. In a large bowl, mix together drained Rotel, bacon pieces and mayonnaise.
3. Stir in the cheese
4. Fill the fillo shells
5. Bake until filling is bubbly, about 20-30 minutes

Can be mixed up a day or two ahead, fill when ready to cook.
Baby bellas work great too instead of fillo shells.
Nobody can eat just one!

Back