Found a great deal on brisket- now what? Advice needed

whoppr

Found some matches.
Hi all,

I was in my local Walmart and picked up some brisket for $1.50/lb, whole packers. I have cooked brisket before, but only once or twice and it was not a whole one. These brisket are pretty big, 15lbs. Even after I trim them, they are going to be pretty large and maybe tough to get on the Weber Smokey Mountain.

If I am only cooking for the family, does anyone have advice how to do this? Can I cut up the brisket into smaller portions and cook later? Should I cook the whole thing and freeze what we do not eat?

Has anyone brined brisket to enhance it? I do this with chicken and pork and have done it with beef like a center round when I am making roast beef but do not know how this translates this to brisket and the smoker.

Any advice how to fit these on the cooker (WSM)?

Any advice for cooking brisket in general? I know to cook it to 190 like pork shoulder to make it tender. Rubs, injections, etc? Basting and and if so how often? I know there is a lot of information on brisket, but still thought I would throw it out there.

I am tempted to get some butcher paper and do this like Franklin. Anyone have any experience with using butcher paper?

I may have a couple more questions as I think this through.

Thanks in advance

Buy it, trim it, rub it and smoke it. You Don't cook till 190*, you cook it till its Done. Probe tender. If you must have a Temp then 203*. Let it rest 1 hr minimum before slicing.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU[/ame]

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pGZ39yYxeBk[/ame]

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIlyzRFUjU[/ame]

At $1.509 go buy more - that is a steal.
As far as fitting it on the WSM get an empty can and drape the brisket over the can. It will shrink as it cooks.
Cook it whole and portion out and freeze what you don't eat initially.
Grind it up and make burgers, make chili.

As far as fitting it on the WSM get an empty can and drape the brisket over the can. It will shrink as it cooks.

This is a good way to fit the brisket on the WSM.

Personally I like to cut the thinnest part of the flat off. Lay it next to the brisket. It'll get done quick and be a nice "snack". Most cooks I love fixing something on the side for a "snack"

I bought a few of them They were a $1.50/lb marked down from $3.00 because they had a sell by 05/17 date on them. The butcher told me they sent 900lbs extra after a sale and they are trying to move it rather than take a total loss.

These can be in the fridge for a couple of weeks, correct? They are cryovac'ed.

Thanks everyone for the advice and links so far. SmittyJonz, I saw an episode where Franklin did a test BBQ with a friend and did one brisket foiled, one in butcher paper, and one with nothing. I forget exactly what the results were but they were all good. This may be one of the videos you linked to. Even if so I will have to watch the others. I wasn't sure if anyone else had the same of different experiences.

Thanks everyone again.

$1.5/lb??? The wouldn't have any more briskets after I was there :-D. That is nuts!!!!!!!

Agreed, really good deal. 900 lbs? I got a few but may go back for another or two. I have made Pastrami on the smoker from commercial corned beef when it goes on sale St Patty's day but may try to cure it on my own and make Pastrami. Take a look at the price and the price reduction. If anyone is in Southern NH, I can pick up one or two if I find more. Let me know.

0515161932.jpg

Yeah - they will keep in the fridge for a while, if you aren't going to be cooking them fairly quickly drop them in the deep freeze.

the last time walmart had them for $1.77 i bought 7 of them. just make sure you cook them within 6 months or so.

Back