Contest Results Fort Worth Sams

When I heard about 31 teams in this field, my first thought was that someone could very well get hosed. Very unfortunate situation for you Jeff - especially by .0002.

I think a fair solution would have been letting the 11th place team into the finals if Kay Cee's finished in the Top 10. Why?

a) The 11th place team would have completed the goal set up under the "tournament rules" set up this winter - to finish within the top 10 of the 30 teams in the region.

b) Kay Cee's would not have any implication on other teams - they would simply control their own fate. I know very very little about what happened to them missing out on their own regional round, but I believe it was an error outside their control.

c) While this may have put 51 teams into the Finals, it would give every team that achieved the pre-set goals of the tournament, the ability to be there.

I'm hoping the decision-makers will add a 51st team given the situation.

I had this same conversation with Troy via e-mail when I heard the 31st team was extended an invitation. His response was, "Because we have a non-comparitive judging system, it doesn't effect anyones chances of making it through to the nationals. There will only be 10 teams moving on to Bentonville. "

I, too, hope they reconsider their position.

Why take away from Glenn's win? If you were so for Texan, why tarnish his win by saying this crap and then making more fun of it? If nothing else, have respect. No reason to saying anything about Mike and Beth. They are good friends and they do not come to this forum. So I will step up and defend them, whether they are from Illinois or Texas. They do not go around bad mouthing anyone. No need to do that to them.

So congratulations Glenn. Big win. A ton of awesome cooks and it must be sweet coming out on top. Good luck in Arkansas.

Scottie- Why drag me into this mess? and how does it take away from my win?
Oh and I guess thanks for the congratulations hope to see you in Bentonville

Scottie- Why drag me into this mess? and how does it take away from my win?
Oh and I guess thanks for the congratulations hope to see you in Bentonville

This thread was about results. Which you also happened to win the GC. To have that focus on other angles, in my opinion takes away from the thread about your wn. So not trying to drag you in, other than trying to have the focus on your win and not someone's happineas in kicking a team when they are down.

We wont be in Arkansas. i only was able to finish 8th in my qualifier.

Not sure I will get listend to but I cant help but open my big mouth once again.

I have read this complete thread from start to finish several times. Seems to me a lot of emphasis is being put on a smiley face. Not to mention Quau's wife was brought into this and nothing anywhere was said negative about her. So I guess I am a little confused at everyone getting their dander up over this. Really a smiley face can do that?

Ranger J said it best and many others over the years have expressed the same thoughts. The written word can be interpreted many ways. At best it is difficult to convey ones thoughts with so many different opinions and personalities in a public forum.

Jeff in KC you mentioned "in the spirit of bbq it was way out of line" ... I say really ... maybe you should take a minute and explain to me the "spirit" of bbq? I mean really .... is there a "spirit" in bbq or is that just your opinion. You see I have an opinion about the "spirit" of bbq as well. What I saw was a smiley face. Not a bashing of a man or his family. Not an insulting comment or slanderous statement. Just a smiley face. And for the record I am not that slow or naive. I do know what you meant by "spirit" but in my opinion there is a lot more to it than just this. Maybe sometime we can talk about it.

And Jeff in KC I am not picking on you by any means. Your comment just happened to kind of hit home. I am not pissed or mad or upset. I guess maybe I just expected a little more from BBQ Brethren than this.

Is there a "spirit of BBQ"? Everywhere else I've competed, there sure as hell is. Maybe not where you come from.

You guys can stand up for your buddy as much as you want but no one here is stupid. I just don't think it's right to make a comment and end it with that emoticon. Trust me, Quau has seen it. If I was in their position, I'd be a little confused as to why someone would do that. If I were them, I'd guess jealousy. But you know what... sure, they're out of Sam's Club and their proclaimed "national championship" but my money's still on them in winning team of the year again... a MUCH bigger accomplishment. Hats off to Mike and Beth!

WTF? Seriously? What kind of comment is this? The man was congratulating you on your win. Did I miss something?
Maybe because he felt he was being dragged into what has turned into unpleasantness he felt he would have been better off not being mentioned at all? Just a guess.

Come on, guys - when one word and a smiley generate this much BS I'd say people are having other issues than the one at hand. Maybe it's the heat. Please take a breath before keying a response you wouldn't normally make.

Arlin

First - I have very few folks I call "Buddy" "Friend" or "Pal". And almost all of those served under the same distingushed unit insignia I did. So, lets get that out of the way.

I guess, when I scrolled by, it never dawned on me that "yes:becky:" Was insulting a man and his bride and pissing on all their BBQ accomplishments.

Which to my earlier comment, I typically don't use emoticons, its well, a bit of a silly way to communicate as far as I'm concerned and leaves quite a bit to the intepretation to the reader. - Amazing that they could evoke such a visceral reaction from some.

You can bet your ass I'll never use one on this board.

Ranger, I'll put it in simplest terms... in BBQ, it's not cool to be happy someone lost, ESPECIALLY publicly. The post simply implied he was happy Quau lost. That's not the spirit of BBQ, as I mentioned and if it is in Texas, you can bet YOUR ass I won't be back to compete down there. And if he was not happy about it, why not simply understand how it was perceived, admit it could have been said better and move on? Instead, the fire was fanned by follow up comments and now we have this.

First - I have very few folks I call "Buddy" "Friend" or "Pal". And almost all of those served under the same distingushed unit insignia I did. So, lets get that out of the way.

I guess, when I scrolled by, it never dawned on me that "yes:becky:" Was insulting a man and his bride and pissing on all their BBQ accomplishments.

Which to my earlier comment, I typically don't use emoticons, its well, a bit of a silly way to communicate as far as I'm concerned and leaves quite a bit to the intepretation to the reader. - Amazing that they could evoke such a visceral reaction from some.

You can bet your ass I'll never use one on this board.

It really isn't as complicated as it is being made out to be. Someone was happy about a team's misfortune. Doesn't matter who the team is, that is distasteful, period. A simple "Yes." was all that was needed. Folks can back peddle or hide behind presumed innocense all they want, but it was put out there. All of the "I didn't mean this" stuff is transparent. I got a personal message from Beth who saw the comment on here shortly after it was posted thanking me for sticking up for them. So, I'm guessing that she was slightly offended by it. As stated, Mr. Redneck doesn't care... "so be it". Unless it was a personal jib between friends, it was crass.

Mr. Redneck, sorry you didn't make the cut in Ft. Worth. Hope you don't have "South grapes" for not making it. :becky: (Mean nothing by this smiley face. I'm just in a happy mood today.) :becky:

Glenn - I'm sorry that this has crept into a thread about what is really a huge moment for you. Of course, it doesn't take away or tarnish your accomplishment, but I'm sorry that we are polluting the airwaves anyway. Again, congrats!

Alrin - I get what you are saying, buddy. Sometimes you have to stick up for people, friends or not. I think my posts have been clear and composed. I'm not trying to flame (although I want to). I've tried not to escalate the issue.

I didn't realize that I thought your division was a ten and move on to next round. then I hope to see you again in Hammond?

Hopefully Hammond. It's a awesome contest.

Congrats on your win again Glenn. None of this nonsense can take way from a big win. :thumb: <<<<<<< that's a good smiley face. Respect.

Congrats to Glenn...who I now know must have shigged everything we did at the American Royal to win impressively this week. Hopefully we will be neighbors in Bentonville and we can do it all over again.

I'll take a shot at getting this back on track.

I need the following:

President Obama, Vice President Biden, Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. Police Sgt. James Crowley, Redneck Cooker, Scottie, Jeff in KC, Plowboy, Jorge in the Rose Garden at the White House for some Shiner Bocks and to discuss this situation.

And just like that...it all goes away. If it doesn't....lets move this thing to the wood pile and cut some video promos.

Jeff in KC...if you missed out by .0002...that sucks.

Congrats to Glenn...who I now know must have shigged everything we did at the American Royal to win impressively this week. Hopefully we will be neighbors in Bentonville and we can do it all over again.

I'll take a shot at getting this back on track.

I need the following:

President Obama, Vice President Biden, Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. Police Sgt. James Crowley, Redneck Cook
er, Scottie, Jeff in KC, Plowboy, Jorge in the Rose Garden at the White House for some Shiner Bocks and to discuss this situation.

And just like that...it all goes away. If it doesn't....lets move this thing to the wood pile and cut some video promos.

Jeff in KC...if you missed out by .0002...that sucks.

Thank you for the invite , goodbuddy, But i wouldnt't drink with any one on your list except you,.....again .....so be it!......:becky::becky:

Great job Glenn. We really enjoyed being your neighbor at the Royal last year and have been pulling for you in the Sam's Club events. Hopefully we can see you in Bentoville! Congrats!

I am very new to competitions, but I know several people on several teams here. I'm pretty sure you can all kick my butt in competitions (for now, LOL). HOWEVER, there has never been a question that I have asked here that has not been answered by folks who will possibly be competing against me in the future. I have never asked for advice at a competition and not been helped. I have had a competing team pick up garnish for me, because I forgot. To me, that's part of the "Spirit of BBQ" and especially the Brethren.

I would never be happy that any team lost (unless it means that I just beat them, LOL...you know what I mean by that I hope). In fact, I joke about not wanting someone to be at a competition where I will be because I think that they are too much competition...but I do that to/with friends (Ron L and Divemaster come to mind) - but truth be told, I want the really good teams competing when/where I am, because I know that (1) I will have a chance to learn something from them; (2) will have great people to chat with - however briefly; and (3) pushes me to try harder.

I don't know the guys who placed in Ft. Worth, but I would like to congratulate them and with them well in Arkansas. Hopefully one day, we'll have a chance to meet. As far as Quau, WOW, they have been tearing up the circuit and I say, "God bless them and more power to them - they have obviously done the work and trials to get where they are."

Okay, I have no idea why I just typed all that - but I stand by it. The "Spirit of BBQ" must have moved me. Ha.

Is there a "spirit of BBQ"? Everywhere else I've competed, there sure as hell is. Maybe not where you come from.

I come from Texas and our bbq competitions have as much bbq spirit as those you have competed in. But shouldn't the bbq spirit extend beyond "competitions"?

To tell you the truth on this forum the "spirit of BBQ" is/has/can be very narrow minded.

I come from Texas and our bbq competitions have as much bbq spirit as those you have competed in. But shouldn't the bbq spirit extend beyond "competitions"?

To tell you the truth on this forum the "spirit of BBQ" is/has/can be very narrow minded.

You have a very valid point. Some people, however... ehhh, what's the point?

You think this forum is narrow minded, you should try a couple of others where there is little tolerance for anyone but a handful of people's opinions. :roll:

You have a very valid point. Some people, however... ehhh, what's the point?

You think this forum is narrow minded, you should try a couple of others where there is little tolerance for anyone but a handful of people's opinions. :roll:

You call it spirit. I call it unity. Tolerance works as well. Until we see more of that everywhere there is little chance that we can all be more accepting and understanding. But it needs to start here not just on the competition field.

Thanks for letting me say what was on my mind.

Back