THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBQ Bacon

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Dean
Have seen a few TikToks about using sourdough discard to make pizza. So we tried it last night and I have to say, turned our really well.

Put my 12" CI pan into the oven at 450 to get it nice and hot. Added about a tsp of vegetable oil and spread it around, then poured 1.5 cups of sourdough discard into the pan and spread it around then into the oven for about 12 minutes.

Philly-cheesesteak-Pizza-2.jpg

We had some roast beef left so we added Arby's horsey sauce then topped with chopped up roast beat, green peppers and onion. Threw it back into the oven for 10 minutes, topped with Haravti cheese then under the broiler for 5 minutes. Turned out way better than I expected.

Philly-cheesesteak-Pizza-3.jpg

Philly-cheesesteak-Pizza-1.jpg

So the next time you have an abundance of sourdough starter, give it a shot. Just straight discard. Nothing was added to it. Sorry I didn't get a pick of the crust but it held up fairly well.

Thanks Dean.

I can't access the site from work anymore, this is the first time posting in the new world. I now have steep learning curve on posting pictures.

Anyway, I chimed in to add that I have had some great discard experiments with cheese, sea salt, but the clear winner has been Zatar. They are like designer crackers that go great alone, with a charcuterie board, etc.

Now let me go find out how to post some pics. :)

Your pizza discard dough is a great idea, and I have a CI pan just gifted to us.

Thank you

Thanks Dean.

I can't access the site from work anymore, this is the first time posting in the new world. I now have steep learning curve on posting pictures.

Anyway, I chimed in to add that I have had some great discard experiments with cheese, sea salt, but the clear winner has been Zatar. They are like designer crackers that go great alone, with a charcuterie board, etc.

Now let me go find out how to post some pics. :)

Your pizza discard dough is a great idea, and I have a CI pan just gifted to us.

Thank you
When you get a satisfactory pic post procedure share please. All my attempts say file too large even though Poobah says there is no limit.
Ed

I keep my starte (60% hydration) in the fridge and don't really discard any.
Maybe I bake too much ;)
We were going through quite a bit as my wife was getting her starter "established" for the first 30 days or so.

Man, she must have also made 20 loaves that first month.

Me grew fattier that month.

Now that you mentioned, both are established and in the fridge, and she hasn't had much discard at all from what I can recall.

I admittedly don't know the process, other than the stupid naming thing. I think one of them is Breadly, I can't recall the other.

Back