??? for you brats

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I've got ground pork in the freezer that needs to become brats and breakfast links. For those of you that stuff pork, what is the most used grind?
Large, small, once, twice? What would you consider the grind is with grocery store Johnsonville's and breakfast links?
It doesn't make all that much difference to me but the wifey is turning her nose up at most of my creations, not because they're not good but because I made 'em and I am an idiot! So, the closer I can get to storebought looking my life may become easier.
Ed

I usually grind once on a 6mm plate for Brat's, Italian etc. Breakfast links or patty's i like a little finer grind at 4.5mm. I think that's pretty close to store bought grind.

My wife was hesitant when i started making my own bacon but now she admitted she likes it over store bought bacon.

For brats i would go one pass with 7mm let chill in freezer for 15-30 min then second pass with 4.5mm. Thats as close to store made as you can get. You may not like the texture of a coarser grind.

I grind with a 10mm plate, then add seasoning, mix, chill overnight and then mix again and a second run through the 10mm plate before stuffing.
Also, natural casings are 10X better than collagen, IMO.

My wife was hesitant about my home made sausages and bacon as well, but she's come around now.
She complains if I run out of "The good stuff" and has to eat store bought.

Thanks all, I scored a 25lb batch of Fareways' meat counter brat seasoning mix that I'm hot to try. Made my first 10 lb batch of bacon and now we're having stuff with bacon a couple times a week. Last night was French toast using Texas toast and a 1/2 lb of bacon.
Good it was.
Ed

Depending what I'm using for grind, I sometimes send it through the grinder twice to better disperse the fat. Also, depending on what kind of sausage I'm making, sometimes I'll do a mix of coarse ground and medium ground, if stuffing into a casing.

This sausage was done with a double grind through a 5# LEM medium plate (I think 1/4"?)

Last edited:
Back