For Those Who Want To Trade BBQ Sauce and Rub From Different Regional BBQ Areas of the US

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
For the newer Brethren here that may not be familiar with different forums.

We have a trading forum here called "The Trading Post" where members in the United States can trade sauces and rubs available from different areas around our country. It gives the opportunity for one to try great bbq products that would not be available to the recipient in their regional area. This can provide you the ability to sample flavor profiles from the many recorded styles of BBQ from around the US. Many have had great products they rave about long after the trade is over.

Unfortunately due to the high cost of International Shipping, and in some cases Custom/Brokerage regulations and fees makes it impossible to have International trades even with our Canadian Brethren.

For those who wish to participate in the trade round the process is very simple.

Trading is open to all members with a valid United States Mailing address including Hawaii, Alaska, and yes even APO and FPO addresses. The US Mail considers Hawaii, Alaska, APO, and FPO as normal US Mail and does not charge international rates.

Before trading can begin, each person who wants to be involved in the trading needs to signup for a screen name at the new trade site.
Please use the same name as your screen name on the BBQ Brethren forums.

Here are the steps:

1) Go to http://www.ncgrimbo.com/BBQ_Trade. You will see the following logon screen on your screen:
LoginScreen.jpg

Click on the "Register" link to register your screen name.

2) The registration screen will show up and look like:
Registration.jpg

You need to fill in the "Requested Screen Name" and the "Email" fields then press the "Register" button.

If there is a problem with your screen name or email address, a message box will appear and let you know what the problem is. You must enter a valid email address since this is how you will receive your password and any trade notifications. Your password will be mailed to the email address that you entered. You should receive this password within 24-48 hours after you click the register button.

Once this is done you are ready when registration for Trade Round 46 begins. Time to get your packages ready. Look for the next trade to begin next month.

The site appears to be down. Will previous participants be notified when #46 begins?

There has been an issue with some Internet Service Providers and how they classify SPAM E-mail. Some providers let the mail through and some do not.

In my case, I have Comcast and while I get normal mail from the system telling me whom I am trading with, I never get notifications that the trade round is open or when it begins.... I have to check the trading post weekly...

I sent a message to NCGrimbo that the site appears to be offline.... Thanks for pointing that out Swine Spectator....

Last edited:
What Swine Spectator is saying is the website is down. You can't connect to it.

this-webpage-not-available.png

Whoops, didn't see your update at the bottom.

The website issue has been corrected.....

10 members signed up to participate, still time to register if you want to join in on the fun.....

This was great when it started and I used to participate.

Got matched with some great folks that went out of their way to share items from their area, as I did from Washington state and local BBQ teams and joints.

But then it seemed like the matching of areas between folks got screwed up, got screwed by someone that never followed through or communicated after getting matched, was salted while recovering from surgery and let my match know that it would arrive after the cut off, and folks that didn't quite get the whole idea of the trades just going through an online site to pick out some stuff and having it sent.

Hopefully its changed? Might give it another shot.

I signed up and this sounds like fun. Are the rules posted anywhere?

Before trading can begin, each person involved in the trading needs to signup for a screen name at the new site. Please use the same name as your screen name on the BBQ Brethren forums. Here are the steps:

1) Go to http://www.ncgrimbo.com/BBQ_Trade. You will see the following logon screen on your screen:
LoginScreen.jpg

Click on the "Register" link to register your screen name.
2) The registration screen will show up and look like:
Registration.jpg

You need to fill in the "Requested Screen Name" and the "Email" fields then press the "Register" button.

If there is a problem with your screen name or email address, a message box will appear and let you know what the problem is. You must enter a valid email address since this is how you will receive your password and any trade notifications. Your password will be mailed to the email address that you entered. You should receive this password within 24-48 hours after you click the register button.

Once you have received your password, you can log into the site. Enter your screen name and login then press the "Login" button on the login screen shown above. This will take you to the main screen:
MainMenu.jpg

The main screen tells you if a trade round is currently underway and also allows you to change your password and update your mailing information. It is vital that you update your mailing information. You will not be allowed to signup for trades if your mailing information is blank. To change your mailing information, click on the "Modify My Name and Address" link. This will take you to this screen:
UpdateAddress.jpg

Enter your data and then press the "Save Data" button. Your information will be updated and then you will be returned to the main screen.

If you wish to change your password, click on the "Change My Password" link from the main screen. This will take you to this screen:
ChangePassword.jpg

Enter your old password and then enter your new password twice. Click on the "Click to Change Password" button to save your new password.

Step 1 is to follow the directions in this forum post: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=477207

Step 2: Go to http://www.ncgrimbo.com/BBQ_Trade and see if a trade is in progress.

If a trade round is in progress, the main menu of the web page will look similar to this:

TradeInProgress.jpg

You can click on the "Trade in progress" like to get to the Show Trades Page. On this page, a list of the past trades will show up and information about the current trade will also be visible. The current trade information table shows the sign up deadline, the trade deadline, and the salting date. It will look something like this:

CurrentRoundInfo.jpg

To register to participate in this trade round, you click on the "No" link in the "I am Signed Up?" column. If the column has a "Yes" link in it, you are registered and clicking on the "Yes" link will unregister you. Once you click on the links, you will get a message saying that you were successfully registered or unregistered. Click on the "Click to return to the trade round list page" link to return to the Show Trades Page.

Once the trade is underway, under the "Package Sent" and "Package Received" columns will be a "Not Sent" link. Clicking on this link will set the date that you sent your package or received your package. Once clicked, you can not unclick. It is very important to click here when you send or receive packages so that the slugs are correctly identified.

If you have any questions or problems, please feel free to PM me.

NCGrimbo

As far as rules......

THE RULES:
If you’re a trader you’re on the hook for a sauce and a rub this round. More is better and that can be a lot of fun, but it’s not necessary. Some folks don’t have access to a lot of stuff where they live. And that’s the idea, btw – send your partner stuff from your area and he/she will return something from their area. If you can’t find enough local stuff, then grab something exotic from somewhere else – that’s fine. And try and stay away from the common items!

Please abide by your trade partner's max Scoville scale rating. If you haven't set yours, take a moment to do that on the address update page for the Sauce Trade Web site. If you haven't set yours, your Scoville scale rating will be 0, Green Peppers.

Once the signup phase closes the computer will match everyone up with someone they've not traded with before who lives far, far away. Note that the computer has no records of the first 15 rounds, so you may get hooked up with someone from a previous trade, but future trades will not encounter this until you've traded with everyone that signs up. An e-mail messages will be sent to each matched pair (or threesome if there is an odd number of traders), and the rest is up to you.

Remember: Communications is Key. We all have stuff come up so if you’re unable to trade or do it on time, just drop your partner and me a note. No sweat.

Slugs… Slugs are those who do not trade in a timely way and do not communicate their troubles to me and their partners. Slugs will be salted. Depending on the circumstances (unanswered messages, reasons for being late, etc.) slugs will be blacklisted from trading for one or two rounds - or they may be completely dead to me. Salting is performed on a predetermined date based on your package getting marked as received by your trading partner. So make sure you mark your packages as sent and received.

To trade, you must have an account and have entered your address information on the web site at http://www.NCGrimbo.com/BBQ_Sauce_Trade .

Information on how to sign up for an account and how to sign up for a trade round can be found in the sticky section of the "Trading Post" forum.

We all know that BBQ isn't just about the rubs or the sauces....

Good BBQ meat can stand on it's own, but a good rub or a good sauce when used properly can compliment a meal and add new depths of flavors.

Have you ever wanted to sample a rub and a sauce from another part of the country just to see how flavor profiles differ?

Here's your chance.... Go to the Trading Post forum and follow the directions on how to register for the current trade round. Once registered you will be paired with someone else in another part of the country. Once you are paired and trading begins, you are required to purchase and send 1) bottle of Rub and 1) bottle of sauce and send it to your trading partner. In turn your trading partner will be required to do the same. Some traders have sent and some members will continue to send additional items or multiple items. This is not required, and is solely the choice of the sender, this simply shows the generosity and nature of some of our Brethren.

We encourage you to send a rub and a sauce only available in your region/area of the United States. Commercially made sauces are allowed because there are many good ones that not readily available in all areas of the country. Brands like Head Country, Blues Hog, Scott's, Carolina Gold, and many more too numerous to name. Also many local farmers markets, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, local BBQ places, and BBQ teams sell commercially packed items suitable for the trade round.

Try to avoid the extremely common items like Kraft, Sweet Baby Ray's, and such other similar sauces as your primary trade item. Items like these that have variants can be added as additional sauces if you desire because many flavor of these sauces (Raspberry, Hawaiian, ect..) are not available in all parts of the country. No brand of rub or sauce is prohibited, I just ask that you consider not sending an extremely common brand available in every store, in every state, and town in America.

Proper packaging of the items to avoid breakage is also part of the trade requirement. An item broken or damaged in shipment is usually discarded by the shipper and probably will never be delivered. Non-delivery will result in being banned from future trades, we refer to this as "Salting". For the sake of $.95 cents, a tracking number can be added to any package, this is a good way to see where your package is and when it was delivered.

Trading is open to all members with a valid United States Mailing address including Hawaii, Alaska, and yes APO and FPO addresses. The US Mail considers Hawaii, Alaska, APO, and FPO as normal mail and does not charge international rates.

One of our Canadian Brethren have showed an interest in forming a Canadian Trade, so if any other Brethren with a Canadian address wish to form a trade, please Private Message me. I will manually pair our Canadian Brethren for their trades if there is an interest. Remember, for the Canadian trade, do join not Trade Round #45, just message me. Members not having a valid United States mailing address who registered in trade round #45 will be deleted from the list.

Trading can be a lot of fun and offer you a diversity of items to taste. Common courtesy and mutual respect will make this trade a pleasant experience for everyone involved...

To join the trade, simply visit the Trading Post Forum on the BBQ Brethren http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6 and follow the links on how to sign-up or register for the new trade round.

This was great when it started and I used to participate.

Got matched with some great folks that went out of their way to share items from their area, as I did from Washington state and local BBQ teams and joints.

But then it seemed like the matching of areas between folks got screwed up, got screwed by someone that never followed through or communicated after getting matched, was salted while recovering from surgery and let my match know that it would arrive after the cut off, and folks that didn't quite get the whole idea of the trades just going through an online site to pick out some stuff and having it sent.

Hopefully its changed? Might give it another shot.

People are now matched by the computer program and will not re-match you until there are no other trading partners.

Yes we have had some people enter and not trade items, but you have opportunistic scammers in all walks of life. Things are more closely monitored and i do not believe we have had a bad trade in quite sometime.

We look forward to having you join us once again.

Time is running out if you wish to participate......

You must be registered and signed up before Midnight Friday to be included in this round.

Open to members with a US Mail address including Hawaii, Alaska, and our Military with an APO or FPO US Mail addresses...

So far 25 members are participating in this trade... Join the fun.

Still time to join the trade and share in the fun....

Yes good BBQ can stand on it's own, but sometimes a great rub or a great sauce served on the side can really compliment the meat. Who knows you might find the best rub and/or sauce you will ever taste. I have had some good rubs and sauces and a few great ones that I continue to buy online.

Thirty People signed up for Trade Round 46, only hours left if anyone else wishes to participate.

Open to all members of the Brethren...

Remember you must register first, then you can select "view trade in progress" and then "Click to participate".

Traders will be matched after midnight by the computer and e-mails will be sent with your trading partners information.

33 members signed up..... 33 people will be trading rubs and sauces from their areas..

I received a message where someone did not receive their trading partners information. For anyone else who may not have received an e-mail with their trading partners information;

Simply login to the NCGrimbo site and view the trade in progress to see your trading partner's information.

Keep in mind that some Internet Service Providers filter multiple emails from a single source as SPAM, there is no way around this at the current time.

Enjoy your trades..... and enjoy your new taste adventure...

Back