THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yes. You can scan to HTML and then it's no different than scraping the web. Accuracy shouldn't be a problem. Scanners and off the shelf software have come a long way.

At that point it's just a matter of scraping the saved HTML pages and saving the data to a database. Something like MySQL wold work well, and is free.

I'll look further into that. Looks like a phase 2 feature, though. Thanks. :)

Add info off of comment cards from judges, and maybe a place for our own self-critique based on the same format

Right now, for each competition entered, there are note fields for each of the (4) meats plus one for overall. More needed?

If adding how you finished, is there any merit to add the size of the field?

Absolutely. I'm leaning toward percentile in finishes. Getting 37th out of 612 in ribs at the Royal is a lot different than getting 37th out of 43 in ribs at the First Annual "We're Trying this BBQ Thing" contest.

I believe that there definitely needs to be a "notes" field for how you felt about the entry being turned in. I realize that not everything that I turn in for score is identical from one contest to another. I may use the same recipe, but it doesn't turn out exactly the same. Without a field to define each entry the score comparison isn't as valuable as it could be.

Right now, for each competition entered, there are note fields for each of the (4) meats plus one for overall. More needed?

I wrote and posted this spreadsheet for folks to download.

I loved that spreadsheet. Good stuff. It's one of the things that inspired me to do this. :)

The CalBQue.com Score Summary Tool looks like exactly what you are looking for and more. Data entry is super fast and private. Hope this saves you some programming time.

I like what they have, but I want to dig deeper and present stuff differently. It's going to take a while to evolve this, though.

One thing that has to be factored for scores is the judges average score from the sheets. This would be for both higher and lower (table of death) scores. It is hard to quantify scores without weighting in the scoring trends by table.

I tend to really scan the numbers the night of the competition and then move on to the next week. If I do more than that, I am afraid that my head will explode! I am sure that we all have made "the best BBQ of our lives" only to have a judge claim that we poisoned them with our entry! I know I have made things that I was afraid would kill a judge only to see some really high scores as well. You can't adjust a recipe or timeline when there is such a disparaging difference between your thoughts and the judges. JMHO.

I've been looking at placing on the table vs. placing overall as well as where the six entries from the table place overall to get an idea of angel/devil tables. Are Judges' Average Scores figured for that comp only, or are they for that judge over time?

Agreed! It makes my blood pressure go up too much if I stare at the numbers too long. You need a memory like a football defensive back, if you ask me.

I agree to a certain extent. I think there is valuable data to be found in scores, but you have to have a big enough sample size and be careful not to jump to conclusions too quickly.

Looks like a great idea. I love data also.

Geeks unite!

bbqscores.com addresses this

I think there's room for lots of tools that help w/ this.

I'm going to share the app w/ the Brethren when it's a little closer to done. I'm adding in a place to keep pics of turn-ins now. Once that's done and I make a little documentation and an installer, I'll share. Thanks.

I do like what Bill Minihan did what the judge's average scores and table ranking, gives you real insight into how much of a factor "luck of the table" played into the results.

I like the ability with the new score sheets to see how my individual and total score compares to the judges average. Obviously always shooting to be above that is key, but it is a good indicator of performance regardless of overall score.

Back