?? for sposorship

You guys seem to be kind of harsh on a very small company trying to offer product and maybe some cash...

I'm just a little fish, but I'd take product, and if I walk, I get some cash, that would be even better...

I know for a fact that some companies have set up sponsorships this way in the past...

I don't think anyone is being hard on him, they are just giving their honest personal opinions as requested. Butcher BBQ is a decent product - I've tried it at a comp although we don't us it now. No disrespect for the product or the maker - it's good that there is an alternative to FAB out there.

Certainly for a team that has no current cash sponsors any little bit is welcome, but for those of us who do have them we have to be careful that we don't dilute the value our sponsors receive by giving promotional space to someone else just for some free product.

That said, if we were using Butcher's to produce a winning Brisket I would absolutely consider a compensated endorsement after the fact.

I sponsor several teams for product in return for flying a banner at the comps they are at. These are people that are already using the product. I've had teams stop using my product or feel like they haven't been cooking enough contests this year, and have stopped flying the banners. Which is totally cool with me. In their shoes, you gotta go with what's working for you instead of who's giving you free product. I don't begrudge anyone that returns a banner. I'm honored that they wanted to do it in the first place.

I just picked up a product sponsor who paid a contest entry for me instead of product. They saw it as giving me free product would take me away as a steady customer of one of their biggest retail outlets. They wanted the relationship without pissing off their distributor. Sounded like a very wise decision to me. It's all money in the end anyway.

As a product looking for people to sponsor, product is much easier to come by for me than cash. Dollar for dollar, product costs me less than cash. For the sponsored team, it is all the same if they are planning to buy product anyway. I provide so much free product and then it is wholesale price beyond that. Some teams end up selling product on the side or at contests to make additional money.

David -I'll fly your colors for five pounds of product and a discount after that. I don't know if you are using my product or not, but I'd be willing to trade sponsorships with you if you are. Fly my banner and I'll fly yours. Beyond that, you can get a logo on my trailer for more than 5 lbs of product. We'd have to talk about that. I haven't decided what my trailer space is worth yet.

Anyone wanting me to buy their meat, gas, entry, and beer... don't bother sending me a PM. You'd have to show me a pretty good return on that investment. I'd have to sell several hundred pounds of rub to make that up and come out better than I am today. You better be winning multiple contests and cooking north of two dozen contests.

Thanks for all the info given. None of it has been harsh or mean, thanks for your conserns though. I ask what is being done out in the BBQ world and I am getting a full round of what I need to build a product sponsorship program.

Thanks for all your input and if anyone else has something new to add I want to hear it. Thanks again David.

Back