Food truck menu help please

gmanNJ

Knows what a fatty is.
I have been asked to provide a food truck for an event. I am getting a converted Ice Cream Truck from a friend and looking to modify it. Unfortunately no deep fryer which makes it harder. I have some ideas for unusual foodie type food and any Q must be made at home and bought in. I can have a microwave, there is plenty of refrigeration/freezing and looking to set up a weber or propane grill up to cook/reheat. There is a chance to set up an outdoor turkey fryer but still need to look at the zoning and what is needed safety wise.
One more thing this is a beer event so parings with beer and stuff that soaks it up are best

I am looking for mains/sides that are easy to make (read most work is done in prep at home), can be sold for a nominal amount and have a decent profit margin. These have to be small plates so no elaborate meals

I have seen a lot mac-n-cheese recipes but dont think the high end expensive cheese ones will do. Not sure if moinks and abts will work if they need to be reheated. Thinking about pulled pork sliders since once made on the kettle can stay in a crock pot till needed. I will def use marubozo's pickle recipe.

any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I have tried so many great recipes here and so many of you do catering and things like I am proposing.

If you are trying to maximize profits and want fairly simple maybe "gourmet" hot dog type theme. Get some nicer buns. Reuben dogs, Cuban dogs, cue dogs, Chicago dogs, slaw dogs, etc. That may be too much toppings to have on hand, but as far as the main meat it doesn't get much cheaper than dogs.

I would be very surprised if you can do what you plan to do without running into issues with local zoning and Health Department. In CA, AZ and NV where I have operated our food trucks, there is always HD permit required, inspection, and some rather strict rules about food temps, need to use an approved commissary for food prep, and a host of other rules (three compartment sinks, waste water, etc.) I would check out local HD website. Now if you are just feeding some friends and relatives at a private event - think tailgate party - then maybe you will not have any issues. Since you mention selling for a profit I assumed you had a business venture in mind. Just my two cents from the left coast.

^^^^This, unless you have been catering there are a lot of issues from food safety to permits to insurance to fie dept inspections.........

That being said I do wish you all the best!

The owner of the truck has all the proper permits. In my town food truck permits are the same as Ice Cream truck permits and in fact this guy does sell some hot foods. It is a private event that I would be catering to (think cash bar). I have him looking into the legal end of it since we are partners. I told him I would look into the menu items and ask for help here since this place is a wealth of knowledge. If it turns out that from the legal end we can't then we will pass. But for now I am doing my part of gathering menu items that can be made quickly, go with craft beer, and have some margin in them. I also want to have this list ready for summer BBQs at my place for family and friends that allow me to not be over a grill all day :razz:

I thank all of you for the information. Not being in this business I m not sure what to expect. At a minimum I come away with some great ideas for summer. If it works out then I can apply these to the truck

I can't think of a more economical cut than a pork butt. Smoke ahead of time and pull, then reheat on a flat top or store in a warmer, can make tacos or sandwiches. Figure one $10 pork but could make like 30 tacos? Maybe more?

Hello from exit 36 :mrgreen::mrgreen:

I sell BBQ in the summer at a farmer's market. I've jumped through every hoop this state has regarding selling food. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.....

Dan,
thanks PM sent! This state has a lot of hoops so I am grateful that another Joisey Boy knows the ropes. As for the obligatory NJ question of What Exit? 82 here (good ol TR)

I like others have been on the sidelines reading about peoples forays into selling Q
SO it made sense to reach out to the Brethren for advice

I was thinking of that to tie in the craft beer aspect. I just need to find a good mac-n-cheese recipe (been searching the archives here). I think the key is to be able to taste the beer in the mac-n-cheese without having the sauce watered down. Any suggestions are welcome.

thanks for all the inputs guys!

Back