Food Saver

bbqjoe said:
Always wanted one of these. Esp for jerky. Never got much first hand info. This thread helps alot. Will get the more expensive model.

UH Joe--I vac-sucked jerky once. Thread is in history here somewhere.
But--you will have the most bitter crap you have ever tasted if it turns out like mine did :twisted:

Seems to concentrate the all-ready strong flavors.
Try a teeny tiny small sample first :lol:

TIM

I got my food saver at Sam's as well with extra bags and two canisters. It works great. I have had it for over 3 years!

Proper Foodsavers are very expensive in the UK.

Do they come with a built in wire and plug or do they have the transformer style plug on them?

CarbonToe said:

Do they come with a built in wire and plug or do they have the transformer style plug on them?

CT, as I'm sure you know, our grid power is 110vac. Every foodsaver I've seen has a straight cord (no transformer). Although NCGrimbo mentioned earlier in this thread that his is battery powered.

CarbonToe said:

No transformer on mine. You'd need a step down transformer.

CarbonToe said:
I bought one of those for my Aibo years ago, but it's far too bulky for the kitchen.

The only decent one I can find (in the UK) is the 550 http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index~modelcode~FSR-FS550.htm but it's $145 which is a little pricey just to seal bags!!!

I found this one, which would probably be OK for the amount of use the Foodsaver would get. My Foodsaver is still over at the in-laws though so I can't check the wattage. Might be worth a look.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...er&kw=step+down+transformer&parentPage=search

FatDad said:
Mine is about 10 years old and I figured ...What the heck.

I just won one on ebay 29.99 + 12.95 shipping.
$169.00 MSRP

I will give it a try.

The seller has a few more on auction.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZhighendss
Fatdad, your probably the farker that was bidding against me for the foodsaver!! I bid on the same one 3 diffrent times and was outbid each time, I finally said screw it and ordered one from the foodsaver website. Not a big deal, now its the hurry up and wait for it to arrive game.

Bossman
chuckmarting@bossmanbbq.com

When you foodsaver lets just say brisket then freeze it. How long do you keep it in a pot a boiling water to thaw?

Sledneck said:
When you foodsaver lets just say brisket then freeze it. How long do you keep it in a pot a boiling water to thaw?

15-20 minutes works fine for me.

TIM

I just got done with a Food Saver vac session.

Man, I tell you, as Father's Day is approaching, the vacu sealer is a MUST bbq tool. Especially for you active/time constrainted folks.

After soccer game last night, pulled pork in a vacu seal frozen solid. Boiling water, toss in bag, tub the kid and everything is ready by the time we are done.

7 hour meal in 20 minutes. Best $80 I ever spent (Kohl's)

Willkat,

Is there one model that is better or has more features that another?

Can't recommed one model over the other but it will sure crash the fark out of a beer can. First thing I tried when I got mine. :biggrin: It's worth not getting laid for awhile if you just go buy yourself one. Not that I know anything about that.

Bossmanbbq said:
Fatdad, your probably the farker that was bidding against me for the foodsaver!! I bid on the same one 3 diffrent times and was outbid each time, I finally said screw it and ordered one from the foodsaver website. Not a big deal, now its the hurry up and wait for it to arrive game.

Bossman

Wasn't me brother. I was the only bidder.
They have 5 right now on that same link I posted previously.
The one I got was just like this one:
Tilia FoodSaver 800 Food VACUUM SEALER New Roll Storage
s.gif
</IMG>

Just check this link......
http://home.listings.ebay.com/Food-Storage_Vacuum-Sealers_W0QQfclZ3QQfromZR11QQsacatZ63510QQsocmdZListingItemList
(I hope the link works...IT IS ONE OF THE 5 Listed right now)

If you do contests, bring it along. At contests time is always short so if your intention is to marinate, put your meat and marinade in a vacuum seal bag and it will marinate twice as fast as normal marination methods.

FatDad said:
Wasn't me brother. I was the only bidder.
They have 5 right now on that same link I posted previously.
The one I got was just like this one:
Tilia FoodSaver 800 Food VACUUM SEALER New Roll Storage
s.gif
</IMG>

Just check this link......
http://home.listings.ebay.com/Food-Storage_Vacuum-Sealers_W0QQfclZ3QQfromZR11QQsacatZ63510QQsocmdZListingItemList
(I hope the link works...IT IS ONE OF THE 5 Listed right now)

Its ok fatdad, I got my food saver today, pretty cool looking, just been looking all over to decide what will be the first victim to feel the rath of the food saver :twisted:

Bossman

Brauma said:
Man Im tempted to buy another one on Ebay. Ive got a FoodSaver 850 (I think). It's great. The only thing I dont like is when you just want to seal. The unit has to got thru the whole cycle of operation of vacuum, then seal. I wish it had a seal-only button. Im sure the new ones have this feature.

Mine is 5 years old and working fine. We just had some friends out last wknd and I pulled out some steaks that I vac packed 1 year ago last April. Awesome.

You know, man needs a spare of pretty much everything, just in case.

Go for it.

Back