Food safety help please

Two weeks ago I had to throw away a couple hundred bucks worth of frozen meat cause the gfci tripped. Didn't find it for quite some time. Some of the stuff was cold still, but I didn't chance it. Threw it all away. Of course I am not a certified food handler or anything like that, just took the path of least resistance, not to the bathroom for hours on end.

I too need to jump on the remote thermometer with an alarm. Besides the meat, I am gonna start storing other temp sensitive items out there.

So the power to the freezer has been out since Saturday?
If the ice in the freezer is still partly frozen, I'd think that the temp didn't get TOO awful warm. If the turkeys are also partially frozen, that's a good sign.

A frozen turkey takes about 5 days to thaw in a fridge (in my experience). This tells me that the temp in the freezer isn't much warmer (if at all) than it would be in a refrigerator.

.....according to my logic, that is.....which may not be worth much.:rolleyes:

We didn't always have fridges and freezers, I think society now days are just way to over cautious about a lot of different things, food being high on the list. I had a thawed freezer last year, don't know how long it was out for but the meat was all cool to touch. Had a big Q and not one person got sick. I'd cook it all and re freeze. Just my .02.

Chuck the top tri tips. Chuck the racks.
Everything else, cook and enjoy. Ta ain't gonna get sick from any of that, if they're thawed and still cold they are fine.

TBH, this is probably what I would do as long as my wife was on board. However, I also wouldn't serve it to anyone else other than the two of us just in case.

Back