Foil balls in WSM water pan

I use the clay saucer also, but I'm with Dan, if you don't have something, use what you do have. And is seems to be working ok for him!

Just wondering if having a lot of foil (alloy) directly over the fire might emit some sort of bad fumes.

Okay, stupid question: Those of you using the foil covered ceramic plate, do you use it instead of the bowl, or put it inside the bowl?

Brauma, after seeing your ? I went out and opened up the foiled bowl - the balls inside and the foil on top did not show any signs of smoldering or burning, so I'm gonna go with, "No fume worries".

in the waterpan. Pan and stone wrapped separately in foil, then a big sheet on top with the edges curled up. Clean up is as easy as removing the top sheet of foil.

Okay, stupid question: Those of you using the foil covered ceramic plate, do you use it instead of the bowl, or put it inside the bowl?

Brauma, after seeing your ? I went out and opened up the foiled bowl - the balls inside and the foil on top did not show any signs of smoldering or burning, so I'm gonna go with, "No fume worries".

Didnt mean to frighten you, Dan. I was just curious if we had any chemists or metallurgists on the site for the sake of discussion.

I'm just old school: I put water in the water pan.

< can of worms - opened > :becky:

I've never heard of this either, but it sure looks like something to try. Probably on my next cook if I ever get to do another.

If you're a gardener, the WSM water pan is a great place to put those broken terra cotta pots to work - just break them up a bit more with a hammer. Or you can gather some smooth river rocks too, but if you go that route be sure to dry them well first.

Cover the pan with a good layer of doubled foil, and don't be surprised if rocks crack or break the first time you heat them.

does this have anything to do with the "foil hat thing"? are you trying to ward off something? or? am I just too paranoid? :)

Back