Flat Iron Steak - PRON

Nice Job...Looks Great!!! Flat Iron has become my new favorite...I'm getting all my friends hooked on them

Swinetime, do what I did. Use the "dry" brine with salt and garlic, rinse and pat dry, put it in the hot tub for about 20 - 30 minutes, and then cook over as high heat as you can get from your grill. The flat iron I had today was one of the best I have ever had. Usually, I prefer ribeye. But, if I can keep getting flat iron steaks like the one I had today, I may rethink that.

Will do. Thanks for the tip. :thumb:

Thanks, folks!
BluesDaddy, thanks for the reassurance but, whatever it is, I don't like its looks. :-D
From http://www.squidoo.com/steak-rare-medium-well-done:
People who love rare steak usually fend off this objection with, "It's not blood, it's MEAT JUICE!" (Or they just grin carnivorously and say that the "blood" is the best part.)

The squeamish people scoff and throw up a wall of skepticism. "Yeah, right. So what exactly IS meat juice, anyway?"

That "meat juice" is mostly water, fat and myoglobin. Did you know the real reason raw meat looks so red is because of myoglobin protein in the muscles? Contrary to popular belief, it's not because of the hemoglobin found in blood.

A quality steak that's been properly drained and cleaned should contain hardly any blood at all, even when it's served rare.
I'm just sayin'! :thumb:

Nice job! Flat iron is the only steak I've cooked other than rib eye in the last year or so. :thumb::thumb:

Great job, I love flat irons! A butcher in Garden Grove (Brees Meats) who carries my rubs puts them through a needler which makes them SUPER tender. They are super cheap and excellent.

Thanks, Blues Daddy, but, whatever it is, I don't like to see it on my plate.

Deguerre, thanks. I will be cooking FI steaks more often.

Ryan Chester, that sounds pretty good. You guys have everything out there in CA. Where I live, we have 100 million stores and shops, it seems, but they all sell the same stuff in the same way. Variety isn't big in my town, unfortunately.

Looks great. I like to serve this with a bourbon, peppercorn sauce. Those pics stir up my late night hunger.

Love flat-iron steaks! They've taken the place of flank steak at my house. Better cut IMO at about half the price.

Thanks, guys! I'm wanting another one myself. I'd recommend you try some of the jalapeno sauce too. It's a Steve Raichlan recipe. Just slice some garlic and jalapenos and gently cook them in some EVOO until they are hot but not browned. It's perfect on steak.

Close up pic.

picture.php

Nice job! Flat iron is the only steak I've cooked other than rib eye in the last year or so. :thumb::thumb:
I'll second that motion. We buy the flat irons when they are on sale at our local grocery, and they will feed my wife, my young sons and me with one steak.

And I like mine at medium-rare. Meat juice is good. :thumb:

Back