Fish Sauce

Finally in a stable location where I can receive a shipment and ... where's the 35 degree? Is it all sold out?

Go ahead and order the 40, then wait on the 35. Its worth it!

DSC04955.jpg

Landarc said you may be fond of this dish, I will post the recipe if you want.

There is a great little North Vietnamese resturaunt near where I work. We brought them some Red Boat to try out. They are amazed, and did not know that fish sauce of this quality was available in the US. Im trying to convince them to use it in their recipes. Which I am trying to extract from them. They are constantly trying to block me or chase me from the kitchen, it is easily accesable from near the restrooms.

Its like pulling teeth.

That's what I figured. I bought two for now. My best friend is responsible for spreading Cafe du Monde to Vietnamese restaurants, must be a couple decades ago. I bought a bottle for him.

Landarc says a lot of things that you shouldn't believe. :mad: No need to post the recipe for that one, but I will be going back to some of the others in this thread when I get caught up.

I did not say that Gore would love that dish, I said he would appreciate the...hmmm...I can't really think of a direction to take this now.

Never say Die!

Grilled up some Vietnamese fare in a rusty old frying pan grill tonight.

Made some Chao Tom (Shrimp paste on lemon grass sewers) Typically you will find this dish made with the shrimp on sugar cane but lemon grass works grate.

DSC05584.jpg

Also made some Vietnamese style grilled beef and Pho.

DSC05585.jpg

DSC05587.jpg

The grill was a little hot and the Chao Tom got a little bit flame licked but they were soooo good.

I followed this recipe for the Chao Tom.

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/05/grilled-shrimp-on-sugarcane-chao-tom-recipe.html

Man, I love chao tom, I do have that recipe copied already, worth using it then. :thumb:

Man, the chao tom is fantastic. We have made some other "American" versions with lobster and scallops. Really nice.

MAde some Korean tonight. The fish suce really adds a certain seemingly authentic Korean flavor, belive it or not.

I got a couple of Korean style clay pots called "jjigae" used for making various types of hearty spicy stews. The interesting thing is they are used on the stovetop, not typically the oven. Im gonna try this on the hot coals soon.

DSC05642.jpg

DSC05643.jpg

This is a soondubu jjigae. It is a stew of silky tofu, pork, shark, mushrooms, onions, kimchee, carots, broth, Red Boat fish sauce and-

DSC05649.jpg

Gochujang which is a fermented mixture of wheat, hot peppers and some other ingredients. I havent tried fermenting it myself yet but I want to some day. I buy it from the Korea store and it is wonderful stuff if you like things spicy.

BTW, it is another ingredient like Red Boat Fish Sauce that will take your BBQ sauce to the next level. I gauranty it!

Man, that does look good as well. I have my eye on some jigae in San Francisco made from stone, with covers. Gochugang is a great thing to keep around.

Well, I finally did it.

No happy ducks at Thang Long Resturaunt today. (We affectionately call it "Long Thang") We tried the raw chopped up duck organs in fresh duck blood today. Cant remember what it is called in Viet NAm.

photo.jpg

It was OK. Flavored with ginger, lime, fish sauce, it had those flavors with a rich "mineraly" flavor. The chopped organs were kinda crunchy and chew bot other then that. Other then that not bad at all. Its not the kinda thing imgonna have all of the time but sort of a novelty thing if the right guests are at the table.

It was fresh cause they kill all of their poultry fresh next door.

So, I took this local Vietnameese Restaruant some of the Red Boat. They are amazed. Cant belive fish sauce this good is available in this country. They want to use it there but cant seem to find it. I told them to order on line but they are worried about the price.

Hey, smokejumper, is there a way for them to buy it by the case or cases at a wholesale price or something. Is there a website in Vietnameese forthem to more easily navigate?

Ill send you a PM.

Yep, no happy ducks there today at all. poor things.

Back