First Time With New BBQ Guru on WSM

Jim, you are very inspiring.

I just thought I'd give my unprofessional experiences with a fascinating product. I've got a lot to do on weekends (maintenance around the farm) but also love barbecue. That's why I got rid of my Klose a couple years ago and bought my Traeger which I absolutely love. However, the WSM gives a "different" taste to the Q and I have more versatility with the type of wood smoke with the WSM as all pellets with the Traeger seem to taste the same. The only problem with the WSM is you still can't leave it alone for many hours like the Traeger. The Guru has freed me up like the Traeger has and I can now enjoy the stronger smoke taste the WSM gives.

The 10cfm fan is the recommended fan kit for all WSM's. I ordered the kit and it came with the controller, WSM adapter and the 10cfm fan all in one. I'm doing a hot & fast with a 4 pound chuck roast right now and it's holding great at 350 even though it's very windy and 68 degrees.

Jim, I have a question: Are you using water in the bowl at that 350?

Well here's supper. A 4 pound chuck roast and a custom fatty cookin'n at 350 with the Guru.

Last edited:
Fresh off the WSM. The fatty was made with Jimmy Deans Mild Country stuffed with sauted onions, mushrooms and sharp cheddar cheese then wrapped in bacon. Pulled the roast at 137 and the fatty at 170. The chuck roast took 1 hour 40 minutes and the fatty took less than an hour at 350 degrees.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report!

My only less than stellar Guru cook was a hot & fast on my 22" WSM and I was using a whole 22lb bag of Kingsford with the Cajun Bandit expanded charcoal ring.

In hindsight, and talking to Bob Trudnak and the BBQ Guru rep at the Evergreen Eggfest (forgot his name, but he cooks with Dizzy Pig) I have realized the errors in MY ways and they were not the fault of the DigiQ or the 10CFM fan, which performed admirably as it has with my Large BGE's and 18" WSM's!
I just had too much compacted briqs and ash and too much of a heat sink in my dry waterpan. I am confident that the next cook on the big bullet will be as easy as any other.

Great product and customer service!

Thanks for the report!

My only less than stellar Guru cook was a hot & fast on my 22" WSM and I was using a whole 22lb bag of Kingsford with the Cajun Bandit expanded charcoal ring.

In hindsight, and talking to Bob Trudnak and the BBQ Guru rep at the Evergreen Eggfest (forgot his name, but he cooks with Dizzy Pig) I have realized the errors in MY ways and they were not the fault of the DigiQ or the 10CFM fan, which performed admirably as it has with my Large BGE's and 18" WSM's!
I just had too much compacted briqs and ash and too much of a heat sink in my dry waterpan. I am confident that the next cook on the big bullet will be as easy as any other.

Great product and customer service!

The Guru certainly does its job but having a proper fire is still necessary. I use the Minion Method and didn't change any firing techniques from normal when using the Guru. Basically all the Guru does is sit there and open and close the bottom vents for you but it does a better job than I can. :-D

I recently purchased the CyberQ II and love it.

I wanted/needed to be able to control two pits so the CyberQ was the way to go.

I have successfully used a 40 foot usb extension cable from usb firewire . com and it works great.

The CyberQ actually communicates with the device via RS-232 over USB which means that the signal is the only important part. They don't use the 5V on the USB line.

Back