First Time Que Mistakes, Disasters, and Lessons Learned

I have been lucky. I kind of knew what I was doing when I started out, so I have no newby stories I can think of to share. I have plenty of, "Dang, messed that one up" stories to share though. Here's one from the GAB contest in 2006. I was pulling a pork butt out of the cooker when my grip slipped, or the pork fell apart, or whatever. Needless to say, I was scrambling my arms to cradle all the meat in towards me that I could, only to learn that...

1. That farking meat is HOT and will burn your arms and chest.:shock:
2. That much pork fat, juices, bark, etc will NEVER wash out of a shirt.
3. Bring an extra spare shirt. Bring the whole wardrobe. You look like an idiot with a shirt that looks like you have been swimming in the pit around all these other "squeaky clean" competitors.
4. Don't tell anyone about it...EVER! (oops, I just did):eek:

Luckily I had more than just one butt to turn in, but it wasn't quite ready. I tanked in Pork at that show.

Lesson Learned

Do Not let your first ever attempt at smoking meat be a 9 lb pork butt for 30 dinner guests in 28 degree temps :roll: That is way too much pressure to put on yourself. It turned out all right, but I believe that was just a simple case of God protecting the ignorant :wink:

John

I've made the same mistake several times over the years with different types of meat. Take it out of the freezer too late for it to completely thaw. Not to worry. It's almost thawed. It'll finish thawing while it's cooking. Dinner's supposed to be at 6 so stick the thermometer in at 5:30.:eek: Oops not close. Tell wife dinner's going to be a little later than planned but not too late. (lie mod) Throw wood chips on and blow on them to get the fire hotter faster. Going for 7 and the pressure's on. Rake dwindling charcoal into tight pile directly under meat. More wood chips. Beat char off of meat with flat side of tongs. After 7 and the fire (what fire) not hot enough to cook chit. Only need 10 more degrees. Wrap in foil and bring in to rest. Probly come up 10 degrees while resting. Probly would if it just came off a hot grill instead of a keep warm fire. Wife unwraps. I go for another beer. Not done. Wife mad. Dinner late. Too black. Not done in the middle. Nuke for 10 minutes. Eat dinner at 8. Tastes good after you cut off the black part. Vow never to do that again. And it hasn't happened again since the last time.

I borrowed a large pit to cook for a church youth group fund raiser. The "FRIEND" didn't tell me he was trying to sell the pit and had power washed the inside and didn't reseason it. Rust everywhere first of all and foul smelling water trapped in the firebox.

Got the water out and used my flame thrower to try and dry it out the rest of the way. The brisket was put on 3 hours late and the thermometers were off and I didn't realize that till it was too late. Only a couple of briskets out of 20 were ready for the opening bell, and I was cutting them just as soon as they got finished for a couple of hours.

It had been a great pit to cook off of on previous occassions. I swear all night I could smell stagnate water, but I think it was on my clothes, because no one that stayed out with me that night said it was the pit. No one got sick that I know of, but it was definitely not my best work.

He was able to sell it in two days with a nice layer of seasoning on the inside and the smell of brisket (he had it on the market previously for 2 weeks).

Back