First time on a pork belly, need some input

mjpmap

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Mike
Hey All, need some quick directions on doing a pork belly. I thought I’d try smoked pork belly sliders for a Super Bowl party. Picked up a 4.75 lb belly at Sam’s today. No skin & kinda thin. My tentative plan is to rub & smoke on an Akorn on Saturday, then wrap & cool overnight. I’ll slice on Sunday and throw on my gasser griddle to crisp it for sliders on Sunday. What am I looking for for IT or feel when smoking? Do I need to foil during the cook or just keep it naked til done? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Mike

No foil, I cook mine to look. Not sure but I'd guess they are in the 165F temp when pulled.

I'd do a burnt ends method or slice very thickly. Whatever you decide on it sounds like you have some lucky friends!

I like to cook pork belly past the point it is probe tender. It needs time to render out some of the fat, which starts happening once its tender. Not all the fat , mind you, just enough. By the time I take mine off the smoker, my thermopen actually falls through the thickest part under its own weight (IT temps at this point are around 200).

If you dont render it long enough, Ive found the fat ratio can be a bit too high. Even then, you could fix that problem by putting the slices on a skillet for a bit.

I did strips of pork belly before cubing and tossing them into a pan with butter, honey etc.

They were good but I should have left them on longer as they were better on the reheat when I did so by tossing them in a skillet. So with that being said, tossing it on the gasser griddle will probably get you in a nice spot even if you don't take it to an IT of 200.

The one time I did a whole belly instead of the strips, I took it to a higher IT than 165 and it was unbelievable. Good luck with your sliders this weekend...I'm going to take another run at the pork belly burnt ends for my Super Bowl party. Cubing them first should be better than whole strips, plus more rub/bark. You might want to look into going with the burnt end method just for more surface to toss rub on to, plus you could cube it large enough to where it would go nicely with a Hawaiian roll.

I agree with the advice saying take to probe tender and then some more. I cook mine to over tender and shred and serve like pulled pork. I couldn't believe how delicious it was the first time I tried it. The first one I did was about the same size and from sams. Good luck!

I cook them all the time. One of my favorites. I'll cook half a side as PB burnt ends and the other sliced (probe tender). A little past probe tender that I use for reference on brisket.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I cook them all the time. One of my favorites. I'll cook half a side as PB burnt ends and the other sliced (probe tender). A little past probe tender that I use for reference on brisket.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

One of these days I'll have to try cube PB burnt ends. Some of the pics Ive seen around make em look insanely good.

One of these days I'll have to try cube PB burnt ends. Some of the pics Ive seen around make em look insanely good.

Go for it, they are very easy to do... 250 - 275 degrees, 1.5 inch cubes with some rub, 2:15 on smoke, then sealed in pan with Butter, Honey, Brown Sugar for 1:15 (or until probe tender), then sauce and let it set on smoker for 15 min.

26993858_10212654840380728_2992959741915416502_n.jpg

27066812_10212654822260275_1082100020801310997_n.jpg

People go bat crap crazy over Pork Belly Burnt Ends. I like to call them Pig Candy. Family and friends always request them. Pretty easy not to screw up.

I've been planning on doing that for a while, and I think they would make a great add on to pulled pork, especially since the bark to meat ratio on belly is so much higher. I would imagine it would do a good job at kicking up the pulled pork experience. I could also see it as being a great topper for burgers.

The problem is that I like PB so much sliced, that I always feel like I'd be missing something if I did it any other way. That will change though, I'm branching out and starting with burnt ends style PB on my next one. Pulled will be next after that.

I've been planning on doing that for a while, and I think they would make a great add on to pulled pork, especially since the bark to meat ratio on belly is so much higher. I would imagine it would do a good job at kicking up the pulled pork experience. I could also see it as being a great topper for burgers.

The problem is that I like PB so much sliced, that I always feel like I'd be missing something if I did it any other way. That will change though, I'm branching out and starting with burnt ends style PB on my next one. Pulled will be next after that.

They are small...just get three and try em all at once :)

They are small...just get three and try em all at once :)

It's the logistics that kill me. Half the family likes sugarless rub, and the other half like it with brown sugar. I like to make enough to feed 5 for a few meals, so that means the whole slab is spoken for.

I've decided though...next time half a slab is devoted to burnt end treatment, candy style. The rest will be for sliced no-sugar rub.

It is written, so it shall be done.

Does anyone do them with the skin on?
That's the only way I can find them here and removing the skin is a pain. I know some will say it's not that difficult but it is for me!

I get mine with no skin from Costco.

Never done a no-skin PB, but I would imagine your focus would need to change. Youd have to focus on making sure the skin comes out perfectly. Which is tricky, but might be worth the effort

Back