First time grinding brisket (W/ burger Pr0n!)

It looks fantastic! Great job! I don't think I've ever seen a bun with even half as many sesame seeds as that one. It's loaded! :shocked:

Did you use a Kitchenaid attachment, or an actual meat grinding machine to do this? That's a lotta ground meat! Did you grind the whole packer? How long did it take to grind? Burgers look killer! :thumb:

I have a dedicated grinder, it's a lower end electric grinder that ran about 100 bucks. After trimming I ground the whole packer. It was about 11 pounds of ground meat. It took about 30 minutes from the start of trimming to the end of the grinding, maybe less.

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Fantastic looking burger!

Looking at your "action photo" on the kettle, did you not do any direct heat cooking for it? It looks set up as entirely indirect. Just wondering.

Fantastic looking burger!

Looking at your "action photo" on the kettle, did you not do any direct heat cooking for it? It looks set up as entirely indirect. Just wondering.

I did move them over for direct heat before i pulled them off the grill. I actually wish I would have seared them a little more.

Looks great. I just ground my first brisky last week and loved it. Problem I had was grinding the whole brisket. My heart wasnt in it so I took a thick square slice out of the flat for corned beef/pastrami.

Still, brisket even in the west from C&C is a cheap grind.

That looks great, hope they were med rare! One of the best burgers I've ever ground was done with a brisket I got from my uncle. He slaughtered a cow and had a bunch left over from the one he had slaughtered the year before in his freezer, so I got it! Can't beat that.

One of the things I've been doing is adding back in some of the fat trim to up the fat content. I bet the burgers I ground a few weeks back had about 35% fat in them, maybe slightly less. But it was pebbled well throughout the meat and left little juicy fat pockets all throughout the burgers even though it was only cooked to medium rare. I can't stand hard waxy fat in a burger that isn't rendered, but I still like em rosy in the middle.

Wonderful grind job though! I definitely get a touch more smearing out of my Kitchenaid grinder that you did there and I freeze my meat too partially.

That looks great, hope they were med rare! One of the best burgers I've ever ground was done with a brisket I got from my uncle. He slaughtered a cow and had a bunch left over from the one he had slaughtered the year before in his freezer, so I got it! Can't beat that.

One of the things I've been doing is adding back in some of the fat trim to up the fat content. I bet the burgers I ground a few weeks back had about 35% fat in them, maybe slightly less. But it was pebbled well throughout the meat and left little juicy fat pockets all throughout the burgers even though it was only cooked to medium rare. I can't stand hard waxy fat in a burger that isn't rendered, but I still like em rosy in the middle.

Wonderful grind job though! I definitely get a touch more smearing out of my Kitchenaid grinder that you did there and I freeze my meat too partially.

I was shooting for medium or medium-well. I like medium-rare but wifey is 8 months prego and can't have that so it was easier to cook them all the same. I actually stuffed one of the burgers with home cured bacon bits and some pepper jack cheese. No pics of that one though.

I use a kitchen aid with the plastic attachment. Works great. But you do wand to cut your meat into small chunks and get them cold like was said here. Makes a big diffrance and can go real quick with no clogging issues that way.

I will grind each meat individually and then make each burger by portion control and mix each one by hand.

How long do you freeze the meat for prior to grinding?

i put mine in my large upright freezer for about 45 minutes. it was in a bowl due to the lack of space and the meat in the middle of the bowl didnt stiffen up much. at least it got real cold, thoguh. it wouldnt take that long if the meat was spread out on something like a metal baking tray. in my freezer i can put a 4 pound slab of bacon in it for 30 minutes and it's nice and stiff but not frozen. your mileage may vary.....

Looks awesome!!!
I will have to try that!!

The best combination I've come up with is short ribs, skirt steak and about 2 slices of thick bacon per pound.

Got this mix from a cook in hermosa beach that started a high end burger joint that is killer.

I just acted like the dumb guy and asked him what meat he was using and he told me!

Best burgers I've ever made!!!
Did he tell you the percentages of each?

I did 50/50 with a pinch of bacon.
Don't remember if he told me or not.
I probably would have made a note of it if he did.

One thing I forget to mention.
I did give the meat a light sprinkle of peppered cow before I mixed each burger together. My wife likes me to put a half baby bell in the middle of her burgers. I usually just double up on my favorite cheese slices before pulling and check them with my thermapen for that medium rare I like so well!!!

That looks very promising. What fat/lean ratio are you aiming for? What size plate do you plan to use?

Quick question: How would you tell what the fat to lean ratio would be in this case?

I grind our own meat here for everything, but usually just guess. It seems I also "guess" on the lean side.

Thanks.

wallace

They look damn good to me! Grinding your own is the only way to go. The difference is night and day!

Now, if you add bacon and like your burger med/rare.........doesn't the bacon become an issue at 130*

You can freeze it and hold it for some time and make sure the worms are gone. I forget what the time is but I bet google could come to your rescue:wink: since I need to get to bed to go to work tomorrow.:sad:

You can freeze it and hold it for some time and make sure the worms are gone. I forget what the time is but I bet google could come to your rescue:wink: since I need to get to bed to go to work tomorrow.:sad:

From what I've heard and read, and also what Alton Brown has pushed, is that today's pork is so safe that there is almost zero risk in eating pork slightly undercooked. They have gotten rid of all the trichinosis worms that was so prevalent in pork so long ago. I have a friend that enjoys eating a piece of raw bacon when he cooks up breakfast and he hasn't died yet.

I know in 2004 though there was 5 cases of trichinosis in America and that came from eating wild game. I can only imagine it has even gotten safer in the past 9 years with better technology in the animals vaccines and rearing.

I guess it's never a bad idea to lean on the safe side though, but I like to go the other way usually. Sometimes to the extreme. :becky:

Back