First time fatty - questions

hominamad

Knows what a fatty is.
I was somewhat inspired to try this after watching Steve Raichlan's "Project Smoke" version which he called a Tulsa Torpedo.

First, a question .... What makes a fatty a fatty? Most of the versions I've seen use some sort of sausage, breakfast, or other, as the roll meat. My supermarket didn't have ground sausage, so I bought a blend ground pork, veal and beef. Will this combo work, and is this still a fatty? I don't really care if it is or not, mainly just want it to taste good!

For the inside, I bought some brats, and pepper jack cheese. Was planning on doing a bacon weave as well.

Is this gonna be good?

Also, on Steve Raichlan's recipe, he calls for 2-2.5 lbs of ground sausage. But seems most other people use only a pound. The meat blend I bought was in 1.5 lb pacakges, so I bought two. Not sure how big I should make this thing. Is 2 lbs too big for one fatty?

Thanks!

Ahhh thanks! I forgot about those Jimmy Dean rolls. Now I have to see if they have those in my marlet. In the Project Smoke video he had a package of ground sausage. I was looking in the meat section of the supermarket. The Jimmy Deans are probably somewhere else.

Anyone done one with the veal, pork, beef mix? I guess it's more of a stuffed meatloaf at that point - rather than a fatty.

I was somewhat inspired to try this after watching Steve Raichlan's "Project Smoke" version which he called a Tulsa Torpedo.

First, a question .... What makes a fatty a fatty? Most of the versions I've seen use some sort of sausage, breakfast, or other, as the roll meat. My supermarket didn't have ground sausage, so I bought a blend ground pork, veal and beef. Will this combo work, and is this still a fatty? I don't really care if it is or not, mainly just want it to taste good!

For the inside, I bought some brats, and pepper jack cheese. Was planning on doing a bacon weave as well.

Is this gonna be good?

Also, on Steve Raichlan's recipe, he calls for 2-2.5 lbs of ground sausage. But seems most other people use only a pound. The meat blend I bought was in 1.5 lb pacakges, so I bought two. Not sure how big I should make this thing. Is 2 lbs too big for one fatty?

Thanks!

With the ingredients you have, it should be tasty.
I use a little over 1lb of sausage for stuffed fatties. They come out pretty even without blowouts.
Good luck with your cook!

Fatties are kinda like stews, you can put all kinds of stuff in to em', they taste great and there's no rules, so you're really only limited by your own imagination and tastes as to the ingredients that go into them. The meat that you have will probably work just fine, just season it up good, put a little smoke to it and I'll bet you'll have a nice treat there, especially if you're doing a bacon weave,... EVERYTHING'S better with bacon brotha'!:thumb:

Thanks fellas. Follow-up question:

If I want to put a rub of some kind on it, should I put the rub on top of the bacon weave? Or rub the roll first, then wrap in the bacon? I'm sure both ways taste similar - just wondering if I put the rub on the bacon, I might end up with a nicer crust.

To answer your original question,

Sausage = Fatty

Ground meat = Meatloaf

Sounds to me like you're makin' up a most delicious bacon wrapped brat stuffed meatloaf. :thumb:

A few future fatty tips -

Despite your better judgement, use thin sliced bacon to wrap your fatty/meatloaf. Thick bacon will not crisp up, especially where it overlaps.

Use smoked/precooked sausages in the middle of your fatty if you stuff it. Putting a raw brat in the middle means that now you you have to cook your fatty till that center sausage is cooked. By then the outside is going to be way overcooked.

I also highly recommend trying a naked fatty.. Just take a chub of Jimmy dean, coat it in rub and smoke it. Best fatty out there!

Shagdog - now you got me nervous. I am using raw brats. Do you think I'll have that problem? Maybe I should err on the side of making the whole thing smaller so it cooks through faster. I was planning on cooking low and slow - around 225-250, along with a rack of ribs next to it. Was expecting it to be done in around 2 or 3 hours?

Also, it seems that up hear in the Northeast, those Jimmy Dean chubs are not too common. I am having trouble finding it.

Shagdog - now you got me nervous. I am using raw brats. Do you think I'll have that problem? Maybe I should err on the side of making the whole thing smaller so it cooks through faster. I was planning on cooking low and slow - around 225-250, along with a rack of ribs next to it. Was expecting it to be done in around 2 or 3 hours?

Also, it seems that up hear in the Northeast, those Jimmy Dean chubs are not too common. I am having trouble finding it.
Just precook your brats by parboiling them in a beer bath or just grill them before putting them into the meat roll. I'd also mix some seasonings (rub or whatever you're using) right into the meat kinda' like mixing a meatloaf.:-D

Yep! Exactly what bill said... Boil em or smoke em ahead of time... Let em cool and then make it.

I can't believe that they don't have breakfast sausage up there? :confused:

Just precook your brats by parboiling them in a beer bath or just grill them before putting them into the meat roll. I'd also mix some seasonings (rub or whatever you're using) right into the meat kinda' like mixing a meatloaf.:-D

Ahhh, so obvious. I feel like an idiot :doh:

I am going to try once more to find the JD stuff. Then I'll have to do two fatties! --- well, one fatty and one back wrapped meatloaf to be precise :)

Careful, you're about to get hooked... Once you smoke up a nekkid fatty (hell, just any any fatty, for that matter)... it's a whole new ballgame.

Enjoy!

Ahhh - I was able to find the JD sausage tonight. So I think I'll keep my bacon-wrapped meatload plan, and also throw on a naked fatty next to it. Should be interesting. I'm doing all this on my kettle and have to also fit a rack of ribs and a small pork belly.

Back