First Time Brisket on a Traeger

Scottielew

Name or Nickame
Scottielew
Over the weekend, I used my Traeger for the first time. I wanted to share my experience cooking a brisket.

For someone reason, I was under the impression that I could just "set it and forget it" with the Traeger. I was sadly mistaken. I had to really keep an eye on the temp throughout the process. I am glad that I purchased a thermoworks because this assist me in keeping track of the temp. At one point, the pellets got below 50 percent in the tray...big mistake. Keep that pellet tray full! Because of the weather, the temp on the outside of the Traeger fluctuate constantly. The Traeger was forced to raise the temp because of the cooler windy weather. Having the termoworks is a much needed tool.

I cooked the 11 pound brisket on 250. I was surprised that it cooked so fast. I think the temp most likely averaged over 260. It reached 200 degrees in about 6-7 hours. It got to 165 in about four hours and then I wrapped it in butcher paper. About another 3 hours it was at 200.

Some changes I would make, I would set my Traeger to 225 and cook it slower. I got the smoke ring but it was not as tender as I wanted it to be. I would go unwrapped throughout the cook. My wife (she's from KC, did brunt ends as well) wanted it to be juicy but I like the bark. It was a prime brisket so I now know that it would most likely not dry out so it may not be necessary to wrap it. Everywhere I study mentioned to cook the brisket fat side down. I think I am going fat side up next time.

For a rookie, I really enjoyed my first brisket on a Traeger. I am looking forward to trying it again. For anyone who has any other tips, please share!

Curious to how you determined when the Brisket was done? Usually if it's not tender and dry it's undercooked, going down on your cook temp won't make a difference in overall tenderness, pulling it when it's perfectly cooked will. I've cooked Briskets at 325 and they've turned out great.

Curious to how you determined when the Brisket was done? Usually if it's not tender and dry it's undercooked, going down on your cook temp won't make a difference in overall tenderness, pulling it when it's perfectly cooked will. I've cooked Briskets at 325 and they've turned out great.

This...every since I started hot n fast...my briskies came out better...prolly cause they get done before I get anxious. I have been doing 300 degrees and start probing at 190. I also think a long rest in a cooler helps...2-3 hours.

Thanks for the review. Honest info without hype.
For the 1st run on new machine it seems pretty good to me.
I know many have to toss 1st cooks.
Good job

Sounds like it came out pretty good for your first brisket.

I cook fat side up and cook till it probes like butter, internal temp is usually around 200 - 205. I normally don’t wrap.

Check your pellet hopper occasionally, on some of those Traegers the pellets will tunnel.

It was tender but it wasn't as tender as I have had in the past. I guess that I should be so hard on myself since it was my first time.

BTW, I have never thought of cooking it hard and fast. I might try that next time.

It was tender but it wasn't as tender as I have had in the past. I guess that I should be so hard on myself since it was my first time.

BTW, I have never thought of cooking it hard and fast. I might try that next time.
One thing about cooking on Pellet Grills is at higher temps you'll get less smoke on the meat due to how efficient they burn at higher temps. A lot of PG users will run their grills at a real low temp or in smoke mode for a few hours then crank up the temp or keep it at 225-250 the whole cook.

One thing about cooking on Pellet Grills is at higher temps you'll get less smoke on the meat due to how efficient they burn at higher temps. A lot of PG users will run their grills at a real low temp or in smoke mode for a few hours then crank up the temp or keep it at 225-250 the whole cook.

Didn't think about that....Thanks for tip!

This...every since I started hot n fast...my briskies came out better...prolly cause they get done before I get anxious. I have been doing 300 degrees and start probing at 190. I also think a long rest in a cooler helps...2-3 hours.

Same here...hot and fast then let it rest for a few hours, wrapped, in a cooler.

Back