First smoker / UDS build with pics

Gave my UDS a test run for about 4 hours, very impressed with how easy these are to keep at a desired temp, I ran it with one nipple cap off and the ball valve open and it stayed about 225-230 degrees the whole time!

But I didnt notice much smoke at all???? I added about 6 chunks of mesquite right ontop of the hot coals but none of them seemed to really start burning???? I noticed some smoke for about the first 20 minutes after I started the coals but after that I didnt see any smoke coming from the vents and had to check the coals a few times because I actually thought they went out since I seen no smoke, but the temp stayed a steady 225-230 the whole 4 hours.

I only used a 9lb bag of charcoal and it seemed the charcoal in the middle burnt first and then its ashes fell through leaving an outer ring of uncooked charcoal along the edges- any suggestions? should I use more charcoal?

Found these 9lb bags of royal oak charcoal on sale for $1.99 a bag so bought a few.
Is this charcoal any good?
I didnt notice but it is minute light and when I added some hot coals to the fire basket full of charcoal it all instantly ignited. I had the fire basket out of the UDS, next time should I do it with the basket inside the uds?

Should I avoid minut light and match light type charcoals in the future?

Anyway- the smoker seems to work great- I just need to learn the tricks of using it. I think next time I will use 2 bags and mix the woodchunks up in it. Whatever is left over after that I can use again.

I would most definitely stay away from Match-light or other self starter coals, they have petroleum in them and your UDS and your food will have that smell in it and the food will taste of it. easiest solution is to soak newspaper in cooking oil in bottom of chimney or firebox, then coal on top and light. or get a weed burner.....

Back