THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bwram1

is one Smokin' Farker
Seasoned the new Smokehouse on Wednesday for 3 hours in the 300 to 350 range.
STL ribs went on at the 3 hour mark...since I'm just learning the new Smokehouse, I did something I haven't done in a few years...I wrapped them. They were seasoned with Rufus Teague meat rub, and sauced with Blues Hog original. A while later, I whipped up a batch of my beans...a much smaller batch than I usually make. Since I eyeball everything and measure nothing, I hoped they'd come out alright.
Also bought a cheap sausage and hung it...no way I was gonna use the good stuff, Conecuh Spicy & Hot, on my first cook. ��

Wife likes her ribs saucey...I like a light glaze...I'll let you determine who won that battle, based on the pic of the finished ribs. :sad:

Here's the kicker...
I went from seasoning straight into the cook...literally tossed in the ribs at the 3 hour mark. I seasoned with an empty water pan. I ran the cook with it empty...wasn't about to start adding hose water into a water pan sitting on the mid-300s. Because of that, it was interesting keeping the cooker under 290...I set my Hi-Lo at 260-290...target range of 275. All in all, it wasn't that difficult to maintain.
Of course, future cooks will have water in the pan.

Attachments

• 5D5Nho8.jpg
    5D5Nho8.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 341
  • H8ORoMF.jpg
    H8ORoMF.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 340
  • 1fBLrY1.jpg
    1fBLrY1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 342
  • L7nwwl1.jpg
    L7nwwl1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 343
  • OkxgsZA.jpg
    OkxgsZA.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 341
  • ldq9EQv.jpg
    ldq9EQv.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 342
  • PNEAvVk.jpg
    PNEAvVk.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 340
  • LTmqk7V.jpg
    LTmqk7V.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 344
  • X9yPccM.jpg
    X9yPccM.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 341
  • Ef6hP7f.jpg
    Ef6hP7f.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 340
  • 3YUAYCa.jpg
    3YUAYCa.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 345
  • 8bRxaqK.jpg
    8bRxaqK.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 340
  • lPnsF7S.jpg
    lPnsF7S.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 339
  • yj2sna9.jpg
    yj2sna9.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 340
Picked up a case of butts and a choice CAB brisket from Sam's yesterday...going to do a couple of single butt test runs over the next week or so (new cooker n all)...then I have 6 butts to do for a friend and some of her family members. Gotta supplement the unemployment somehow. (At least my wife is essential.)

I'll be doing the brisket later on...gonna wet age it for at least a month.

Attachments

• F5VDkZX.jpg
    F5VDkZX.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 334
Light sauce for you, heavy for the Mrs. See who won at the end??? I knew that answer before I started scrolling, the smart man complies with the wife's wishes.
All in all, it looks like everything turned out great! Don't sweat the smoke ring, but FWIW, I get more pronounced smoke rings with cherry wood. Can't wait for round two.

Are you running all woods with splits that big? In a vertical cabinet? I want to see some pics of the fire next time. Very interested in this cooker. Academy is always out of stock whenever I'm looking for a new smoker.

Happy wife, happy life. Those ribs look really good! (All of it does, actually) I see you smoked some smoked sausage :).

A smoke ring is nice, but a totally secondary consideration to the smoke flavor. Presentation is important sometimes, but taste trumps how it looks every single time IMHO.

Looks like a successful cook in every way, other than the obvious omission of a fatty. What’s the world coming to?

Are you running all woods with splits that big? In a vertical cabinet? I want to see some pics of the fire next time. Very interested in this cooker. Academy is always out of stock whenever I'm looking for a new smoker.

When I get to the house, I can post a couple of pics of the firebox in action.
Those splits were about twice the diameter I normally use, which is Coke can size. I happened to have two bags of kiln dried, cherry n pecan, that someone gave me...so I used most of it up.
Started the fire with a full chimney of lit KBB and 3 splits...added 12 splits over the next 7.5 hours...about 1 every 40 minutes.

Sorry, but my wife put me on a project when I got home and I forgot about you. Here are three fire pics...the beginning of the fire, mid-seasoning/cook and end of the 7.5 hour seasoning/cook.

Attachments

• nBMJKkX.jpg
    nBMJKkX.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 39
  • uOn8WyH.jpg
    uOn8WyH.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 39
  • wev9XAa.jpg
    wev9XAa.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 38
Back