First Smoked Brisket...pron

when you hit 199 did you foil it right away?????if so theres a problem it will keep cookin and over cook it needs to rest then wrap

Thats exactly what I did...FARK...

I'm always open to new ideas. Any reason why your charcoal chimney is lit upside down?

The beef ribs look tasty. Nice job!

Thanks!

Its a Minion Method thing, explained by Saiko. Did you say Ribs?

I never thought about that... I just put fewer in the large section....

Easier to poor them out when the basket is in the Drum.

I cooked about 4 briskets, and couldn't see what the big deal was. Then on brisket #5 I couldn't believe how good it was. Keep at it. The pics look great. If it tastes as good as it looks maybe you just don't like brisket.

Ok, I promise this was not my last...need to become one with the brisket!

Thanks for all your comments folks! :-D

I'm a pork man, butts, chops, loins...

I've never done a brisket, and may have an opportunity when the wife and kids go out of town....

You're a tough act to follow, that looks really tasty.

RMR

Did my first one this weekend, a ten pound flat. Followed a procedure I learned about on another board - it may be heresy to some on here, but I used a (relatively) high heat cook.

Cooked it for a little over two hours at 325 on the WSM then foiled, went to 350 and began checking for "smooth as butter" tender an hour and a half later. At about four hours from the start I took it off and let it rest in its foil "tent" for another half hour.

Tasty, tender, with a nice smoke ring!

At least you could eat your 1st brisket....mine made a damn nice frisbee!
Congrats on your cook! You'll get the hang of it!

Even a dry smoked brisket is good eatin' to a Native (albeit displaced) Texan like me!!

Dang, after seeing that pron, now I'm hungry, and The Missus is working the late shift

(I hope we have some bachelor chow hidden somewhere)

Looks great!! Good job for a 1st time! Congrats!!!!

Update!

You guys will get a kick out of this! I took some of the leftover brisket to work today, I hit it with a little sauce and nuked it for just under 2 minutes at work.

Boy I'll tell you what, (Hank Hill Mod) it was great!

I can't believe it took a microwave at work to show me how tasty the brisket can be!

I think I get it now, it was juicy, crusty, the fat cap was tasty, sweet and salty at the same time!

Getting another one done next cook! Along with a Pork Butt for company....

A New Yorkers quest for Texas Que!

Oi Vey!

ince it was done in the wee early morning hours, I eventually had to re-heat it in the oven for dinner…this may have been a big mistake…like I said earlier, I am not crazy about brisket to begin with, but this seamed too dry (the bark was delicious though!). Or is it that I am just used to eating smoked pork?
Yeah, been there done that. I know this will sound like heresy, but I overcooked a brisket first time out, had to run to the hospital and by the time I got home, it was way over cooked. I placed the brisket in a slow cooker with plenty of sauce and a bit of beer and let it go for a couple hours. You just wouldn't believe how this brought it back. It was not mushy and the people that tasted it thought it to be good. go figure, all I'm saying here is that I was trying to save a 10 pounder and it worked. Your mileage may vary.

Back